Forum / Answering Questions? Or not?

• Fn.thumb
    Rand M. Burgess
    Dec 23, 01:34am

No need to answer before I ask the real question, or afterward. All up to you really. So here it is: Do you prefer to answer the questions you bring up in your writing? Do you prefer to leave the ultimate answers up to the reader? Do you prefer to answer some questions while choosing to ignore others?

By 'Questions', I mean the big picture, the point, the theme, the message, and even in some cases the logic behind things. By all means I'm referring to the philosophy and structure of the writing as well.

I ask this question because of being asked another question, which is: "What do you mean?" Which in turn, with the writing present, leads to: "What do you think I mean?".

So what kind of writer are you in these regards? Reasons whys? Feelings why readers should or should not be given answers?

I prefer to coax an answer out rather than provide one. At most I'll hide the answer someplace, and when forced I try to explain. I feel that the ability to conjure answers based on the material is not just important, but a necessary part of the reading world.

(Happy or Unhappy Holidays to all!)

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Dec 23, 04:09am

The writer tells a story in sensory terms. Whatever themes the story embodies are delivered by the sounds, smells, touches and flavors the words conjure.

• Frankie Saxx
    Dec 23, 12:10pm

I think most times people bring their own answers with them. Unless a work is so vague they can't figure out the questions or so obvious and dogmatic they can't be but beaten to the writer's intended conclusions, people read meaning that makes sense to them.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Dec 23, 02:28pm

It kinda depends, Rand. I did a piece recently that was experimental for me and it raised some discerning questions from several readers. I was happy to answer them, explaining what I was trying to do and learning from the exchange. I tend to write intuitively and am not always aware of how something that seemed to say one thing to me can say different things to others, or simply confuse them.

My experience with poetry is limited, so I'm reluctant to comment as a reader, for fear of betraying my denseness. A foolish conceit, I know, but that, too, is intuitive. I often wait until others more knowledgeable have commented, if a particular poem seems too arcane, confusing or obscure to me, and then I read it again. When I comment on a poem it's usually an intuitive response rather than critical.

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Dec 23, 03:04pm

I love it when I've skillfully (and successfully) embedded a theme in a piece. I prefer for "the point" to be implied rather than overt, but it does, of course, depend on the piece and purpose. An underlying irony that might even be a sort of in-joke for those who understand literature best or other writers is fine with me. A piece in which mood and tone sets theme is just as successful. Sometimes a piece doesn't really even need a theme, as a few folks writing out there embrace chaos, and if the language is rich, interesting, and gorgeous enough, they can get away with that too. Great question for an early morning think. Thanks. Back to coffee.

• Fn.thumb
    Rand M. Burgess
    Dec 24, 12:22am

Excellent responses!

@Gary: Yes, sensory terms do play a large roll, and if through our language we cannot convey the correct sensory meanings we are not doing our job as writers, or doing it differently to say the least. I love this idea, but I also tend to dislike the restraint of language in general. Thanks for sharing.

@Frankie: I agree, and have learned the hard way through this idea. If you are too vague then nothing gets conjured up. Audience is key for sure, and just as hard to figure out, haha. Synthesis between audience level and writer/story level is an important aspect to consider when implanting notions.

@Mathew: So very true. I've been down that road. Sometimes I just sweep them under the rug due to minority, then I feel bad...haha. Anyhow, yes it can be a bother that a meaning cane be doubled, its important to clarify for the reader, if not for yourself. This is quite valuable though, because with feedback you get a chance for change and correction. As for the poetry bit, dive in, get beat up, and say what you see, or so my advice for poetry.

@JP: Indeed. Nothing better than hitting the ball out of the park and getting a hole in one...mixing metaphors, hehe. None-the-less I agree with implying over the overt, and even more with the A-moral.

Great thoughts,will check in again. Really good discussion so far.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.