Forum / Review of Julie Innis's Three Squares a Day with Occasional Torture

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Jun 06, 08:34pm
  • 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Jun 06, 10:11pm

(don't want to read review until I've read book...)

Christopher Allen
    Jun 06, 10:15pm

Um, then please read the book? Don't know what to tell you, Matt. :)

Dolemite
    Jun 06, 10:24pm

It's just that I don't want to read excerpts of the good stuff until I've read them in the book itself (which is on its way)...

Christopher Allen
    Jun 06, 10:32pm

Fair enough. If you've already ordered Julie's book, I don't really care if you read my review or not. My ONLY reason for taking the time to write the review is to support Julie and to do her exceptional work justice.

Dolemite
    Jun 06, 10:34pm

C--

I'M GOING TO READ THE REVIEW!

Just LATER...

;-)

Christopher Allen
    Jun 06, 11:02pm

I think you're missing my point. If you've bought the book, I don't care if you read my review . . . now or later. It's not about me.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 06, 11:25pm

I love it when people yell at each other in the Forum. (I know you guys're just kidding, but I'm such a lowbrow... and I'd kind of like to see the Forum become sort of a little bit like Housewives of Whatever.)

But this is really all about Julie and her book, so cut it out!

Heh...

• Innis_author_photo.thumb
    Julie Innis
    Jun 07, 02:09am

I love a good cat fight. Amd that the internet has so much to offer: http://www.pawsonline.info/feline_sounds.htm

Tho" all joking and cat clawing aside, Chris, THANK YOU. I got all choked up reading your review. I think it's the first time I've ever felt like a "real" writer.

Dolemite
    Jun 07, 02:10am

(was beginning to think I was in a Monty Python sketch...)

;-)

Christopher Allen
    Jun 07, 11:03am

Didn't mean to sound like I was yelling. Sorry. I was just making my point. It IS all about Julie and her work. If reading a review before you read the book is something you'd like to do, please read the review; if reading a review after you've read the book is what you'd like to do, please do so; if ignoring my review is what you'd like to do, be my guest. I love everyone.

It was a pleasure, Julie. And I'm so happy it moved you.

• Franklin Goodish
    Jun 07, 12:23pm

Sorry Chris, Dennison would mop the floor with you. And I applaud you for realizing that and apologizing. Now go home and get your *&*&((!! shinebox.

• Franklin Goodish
    Jun 07, 12:24pm

Whoops, forgot the ":)" to let everyone know I'm kidding so it's all good...

Christopher Allen
    Jun 07, 01:52pm

Um, yeah, this isn't about Dennison. It's about Julie Innis. Is there any way to delete this post and start again without the distractions?

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jun 07, 02:12pm

I have read Julie's book. I couldn't put it down. It is the work of a fine writer and is wonderful in its absurdity and spot-on observations about human nature. The characters are well-rounded and the stories fresh and funny with a little triste shining around their edges to illuminate. Every single story is a gem. I'm planning on writing a review as soon as time allows. It is THAT good. Thanks for writing this, Christopher. Julie's work deserves all the kudos it can get.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jun 07, 11:38pm

Thanks for this great review.

It did it's job--I have ordered! I love me some good Innis. Peace...

Christopher Allen
    Jun 08, 08:32am

@Joani :) Thank you. I can't agree more.
    @Linda :) I'm thrilled. Thank you.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jun 08, 04:59pm

I bought the book. I don't usually do things like that, buy books when the library is open. Don't know what got into me. But I bought the book. Read some of it now I love the book. You should maybe buy the book. No. You must buy the book. Buy the book. Buy it now!

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Jun 08, 09:33pm

Bought it. Read review. Loved it so much I reviewed said author, too. Not necessarily in that order. She's so funny I peed my pants.

Julie Innis
    Jun 08, 09:37pm

Is it wrong that I am pleased to have made Robert pee his pants? And JLD - I wish I could figure out how to convince my library to stock it, so I know well the thought process that went into your decision to buy a copy -- thank you!

Julie Innis
    Jun 08, 09:38pm

JP, I appreciate your kind words and wow are those 4th graders lucky to have you at the wheel this summer!

and Linda, Peace right back at you. Greatly appreciated.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jun 09, 12:54pm

Just ordered it and can't wait to read. Is it a good thing that Amazon tells me mine was the last copy? Do I smell a second printing?

• Img_0741.thumb
    See ya
    Jun 25, 11:51am

A fine book, fine writer, fine person, fine reviewer, fine review!

Julie Innis
    Jun 25, 06:32pm

Thanks Sheldon - and while we're talking 'fine books, fine writers' - I can't sing your praises loudly enough about your greatest latest, The Same Terrible Storm. Get this book, people, you will not be disappointed!

• Img_0741.thumb
    See ya
    Jun 26, 03:45pm

Thanks, Julie...a lady and primo writer!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.