Forum / Quick Turnaround Journals

• Img_0089.thumb
    Gessy Alvarez
    Mar 28, 03:44pm

I'm an impatient person. I like to know right away whether an editor wants my piece for their publication or not.

If a journal states a response time of 6 weeks or less, I'm in. But so many journals have a response time of 3 - 4 months.

I would love to collect a list of journals that are known for their efficiency. If you know of any please post here.

I will create a list based on your responses and share with y'all.

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Mar 28, 03:59pm

Go to Duotrope. They list all the quick journals. eunoia is one. Camroc Press Review is another. Bartleby Snopes is a third, A-Minor a fourth. Finally, Thrush is another with a fast turn-around. Good luck.

• Untitled_design_-_2024-02-08t014618.097.thumb
    Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 28, 04:07pm

Red Fez, Zygote in my Coffee, Bone Orchard Poetry, Full of Crow, Thirteen Myna Birds...when I edited Instant Pussy I always responded within 24 hours

oh! Meat Songs, a UK print zine...they're at Facebook...David Mac is super quick

• Img_0089.thumb
    Gessy Alvarez
    Mar 28, 04:21pm

Good ones...Thanks JP and Misti! Here are some that I know: Amethyst Arsenic (about 24 hours), Arcadia Journal (about a week), and kill author (5 days).

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 28, 04:46pm

Kick ass! Thanks, Gessy. I was published in kill author a while back. Will now check out the other two you mentioned.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Mar 28, 08:51pm

smokelong is prompt. dammit. elimae also quick.

now, journals without a decent response (any response at all), well... I shan't air laundry here. Peace...

• Img_0089.thumb
    Gessy Alvarez
    Mar 28, 09:14pm

The (city with more monuments than New York) Review...is notorious for no responses...Sorry, couldn't help myself:)

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Mar 29, 04:58am

Hey. :) At Metazen we're trying to speed up our turnaround time. We have more editors on board now, so I hope this will help. If you have submitted to us and feel you've been waiting too long (more than a month), I can check on it for you.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Mar 29, 12:31pm

All great mentions, and I have to throw in Thunderclap Press and JMWW (although we've been a bit slower this quarter at JMWW, sorry- so many submissions came our way, which is great!). Also, Short, Fast and Deadly, NAP, Heavy Feather Review, Connotation Press, Bong is Bard, Jumping Blue Gods, Apocrypha & Abstraction... these are all solid and quick zines to submit to.

• Img_0089.thumb
    Gessy Alvarez
    Mar 29, 03:38pm

Linda, I love elimae! Christopher, Metazen is pretty quick, forgot to mention y'all. I always enjoy the site when I visit. Thanks, Robert for sharing those, I only know about JMWW, the rest sound intriguing...

• Tinabarry.thumb
    Tina Barry
    Mar 29, 03:49pm

I've never waited more than two days for a response from Elimae. Same for the Boston Literary Magazine. Great editors at both publications.

• Tinabarry.thumb
    Tina Barry
    Mar 29, 03:52pm

Ditto for Thunderclap and THIS Magazine.

• Img_0089.thumb
    Gessy Alvarez
    Mar 29, 04:01pm

Good to know...thanks, Tina!

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Mar 30, 01:52am

Bong is Bard. Love that name. Going there right now.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Mar 30, 02:15am

Connotation Press Review also fast. Love BLM, thanks for reminding me of Robin's fine zine (she often writes why she doesn't accept a piece, which helps).

Hey Robert, JMWW not so slow. I'm not so slow, anyway ;^)

Peace..

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Mar 30, 02:18am

Poetry Magazine
    Beloit Poetry Journal
    Rattle

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Mar 30, 02:27am

Anderbo is quick ( and in my case deadly.)

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Mar 30, 02:31am

Pank's pretty darned quick and also, as in David's case with anderbo, a frequent personal rejection, please send us more, heart breaker for me.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Mar 30, 03:01am

I echo the feedback on Connotation Press - response within about 2 weeks of submitting with good/immediate communication from editor following up on submission.

Also, Rose&Thorn - response about 3 weeks after subs closed with immediate contact and great communication from assigned editor re next steps.

I don't mind waiting (within reason), as long as there is some communication.

Communication makes me happy.

• Nm2.thumb
    Nikki Magennis
    Apr 02, 12:11pm

I'd echo most of the ones already said - A Minor were superquick, PANK are quick. Earth Lines were within a couple of hours.

(An inordinately quick response sometimes makes me feel like the editor couldn't wait to kick it out of their inbox!)

I try to answer within a month at FeatherLit, but if anyone hasn't heard back after that please email me - sometimes it seems messages sent via Submishmash/Submittable get lost in the ether.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.