Forum / Am I the only person having problems getting into Fictionaut??

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 16, 08:39pm

I'm running Internet Explorer and for several days now, I try to open Ficttionaut's web page and the page will either cease running or it will freeze Explorer so that it has to be refreshed. Once refreshed, it may or may not continue to run trouble free, but a couple of times, I find myself unable to access stories or to interact.

I know that the problems we've had while the site is being revamped are to be expected, but this is particularly frustrating. Are we able to address this? Is it a work in progress?

If I'm told to change my browser, it's not going to happen. No reason for me to do so. If I'm the only person having trouble, then why am I not having trouble with any of the dozens of web pages I visit in a day. Only here. Only at Fictionaut.

I'm not complaining and Fictionaut certainly doesn't owe me anything, but I can't use the site as it stands. It's that simple.

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Mar 16, 08:55pm

I just tried opening site with IE. No go...

• Estelle_bruno.thumb
    Estelle Bruno
    Mar 16, 11:15pm

I have also had a problem occasionally with internet explorer. I blame it on my cable company. Try doing that on yours.

• Meg%20profile%20pic.thumb
    Meg Tuite
    Mar 16, 11:16pm

I have problems off and on also, James!!! I usually wait a while and then try again and miraculously, it works! Hope you got through!

• Apc_logo_02.thumb
    MichaelDickes
    Mar 17, 12:47am

Ya, me too. All in all, I'm hip with what Estelle suggested

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Mar 17, 02:28am

Yeah, same deal.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Mar 17, 06:41am

For about a week I've had similar issues - only on Fictionaut - sometimes it works fine, but mostly I get a few clicks on links and then IE either freezes or shuts down. Been very frustrating. Estelle, I live in New Zealand and we have no cable, so that doesn't explain it. The other side of the world is having the same issue.

I switched to Firefox (recommended by Matt - thanks) and the problem disappeared.

Then my computer died...but that's another issue altogether...slowly getting used to a replacement.

But yes, on IE I was having no end end of trouble.Using Firefox on the new system until I hear the IE issues are resolved.

• Yankee.thumb
    Carson Baker
    Mar 17, 06:43am

Sorry guys. I'll take a look at it in IE and see what's going on, fix it, and then post a reply.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 17, 06:45am

Glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble. Too bad none of us can fix it...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 17, 06:46am

Thanks, Carson.

• Yankee.thumb
    Carson Baker
    Mar 17, 07:52am

Could you guys help me out and let me know what version of IE you're using? Is there any pattern to the crashing that you can discern?

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Mar 17, 11:58am

I'm testing it in IE 9 for Windows right now, and so far no problems. I'll keep clicking... sorry about the trouble.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Mar 17, 01:13pm

Mine is VISTA, Carson. Getting onto Fictionaut is fine, but when I click on a second page( e.g. "Forum") the screen begins to fade and locks up. After rebooting Fictionaut everything seems to work fine.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 17, 03:47pm

It's improved, but still locks up eventually. Using IE9.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 17, 06:36pm

Nope, back to freeze on first contact.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 17, 06:39pm

I'll stop by in a couple weeks to see if it's fixed, but I can't post or comment on work here any more until it is. Thanks for trying.

• 62698557287.thumb
    Matthew Robinson
    Mar 17, 07:46pm

If I may interject with my opinion, this site (and most all others) run like a top on Google Chrome...

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Mar 17, 08:09pm

Same with FeuRenard.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Mar 19, 05:27pm

Today having trouble with both google chrome and IE8. My login fails when I move around the site. Also, the page just freezes and I have to get out and come back in, etc.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Mar 19, 05:44pm

using Google Chrome - no problems. Yet.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Mar 19, 07:55pm

Using both google chrome and ie8 (work) and ie 9 (home) and have intermittant freezes as Susan reports. One reason I've been scarce.

Peace...

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Mar 19, 09:08pm

I use Safari and have not had any problems of late. Works every time, without freezes. Sorry for everyone's troubles.

• Yankee.thumb
    Carson Baker
    Mar 20, 02:16am

Hey guys -- the issue was caused by an errant piece of JavaScript that was causing a "race condition" on Internet Explorer. It's now fixed.

If you notice any other anomalies, please let us know. You can email me or Jürgen or post in the forum.

Sorry for the trouble.

• This thread was locked on 2012-03-20 02:16:15 UTC.