Forum / 1st Writer's Conference

• Dsc01252new.thumb
    Jules Archer
    Feb 10, 05:00am

So...I signed up for my very first writer's conference (eeek!). Any tips on what to bring - if anything? Just thought I'd ask the seasoned ones.

XO,
    Jules

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Feb 10, 11:45am

Which conference? They are all so different.

Most important things to bring--open mind, pen, notebook. Peace...

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Feb 10, 01:09pm

Jules, where are you heading? I have a week long poetry conference at end of May- June and I'm really nervous! I agree with Linda...and be as present as possible. If you get distracted when writing on a computer, then leave that in your room and write long hand during the conference. Also, bring any "totemic" items along that remind you of your creative worth.

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Feb 10, 03:48pm

Ear plugs, your BIG dark sunglasses, small book of crossword puzzles...

;-)

• Dsc01252new.thumb
    Jules Archer
    Feb 11, 02:41am

Thanks all! I'm going to the Desert Nights conference here in AZ, at ASU, at the end of the month. I'm nervous too but excited...so we shall see.

Matt, your comment made me laugh...but I am sure that will all come in handy. ;)

• Blank.thumb
    Soon to be deleted
    Feb 11, 04:11am

Lots of beer...you know, for non-writing activities... :)

• Jolly%20roger.thumb
    Michael Gillan Maxwell
    Feb 14, 07:44pm

I usually take at least three different disguises, a bottle of Patron tequila and lots of pencils.

• Tux.thumb
    Gary Percesepe
    Feb 15, 06:37pm

shoes

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Feb 15, 07:08pm

Specifically your "publish-me" pumps.

(the one with the heels at least three exclamation points high...)

;-)

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Feb 15, 08:44pm

Jules, I don't know the format, but if there is critique from other participants involved... just know that some of my published work? Before I ever sent it out to literary mags, before it was accepted and lauded elsewhere, my best and most well-received work was trashed at an Iowa conference. So take critique with a grain of salt. It's a great way to meet other writers and the after conference get-togethers offer opportunity for reading at a mic.

Enjoy yourself and when you get back? Let us know how it goes.

• Dsc01252new.thumb
    Jules Archer
    Feb 16, 02:09am

I love all these quirky and awesome suggestions. ;)

James - there isn't critique -- as far as I know...the schedule is more readings and mini-conferences. But that is good to know...thanks for the feedback!

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Feb 16, 03:11am

cool writing scene at ASU so have fun! & what Linda said

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Feb 17, 02:17am

Jules, if ever you do have the opp at a conference to meet with agents or editors, you should. Especially if you submit stuff ahead of time. I have gotten some excellent feedback on my work, requests for more, and have learned agents aren't that scary (usually).

I'm jealous -- have fun! Peace...

• You must log in to reply to this thread.