Forum / Asheville FM's WordPlay with host Jeff Davis

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Dec 24, 02:00pm

Some of you may already know that Carol Novack is not expected to be with us much longer. She is in hospice care in Asheville, NC. As a tribute Jeff Davis will play recordings of her reading her work on his radio program, WordPlay, on Christmas Day at 5-6 p.m. EST. Marcus Speh has made a lovely recording of her story, "A Tourist in Siberia" that with luck we'll air on the show as well. It will definitely appear at Marcus' website, kaffe in katmandu, on December 26. Jeff Davis will interview me a bit about knowing Carol and her writing. Her Fictionaut page:

http://www.fictionaut.com/users/carol-novack

Bonne Terre, Bon Voyage, Carol

AMB

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Dec 24, 02:39pm

Thank you so much, Ann. When I heard about the wonderful radio tribute to Carol, I decided to publish <a href="http://kaffeinkatmandu.tumblr.com/post/14720765288/a-tourist-in-siberia-by-carol-novack-a">this recording of A TOURIST IN SIBERIA</a> at Kaffe in Katmandu today to include directions to the WordPlay show. Lots of love to Carol from Berlin.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Dec 24, 03:38pm

And more love to Carol from New Hampshire.

Ann Bogle
    Dec 24, 03:50pm

Marcus, it's brilliant. Thanks! All best to you, David.

As a Christmas present to Carol, a fully formed Jewish atheist and Marxist-feminist, please, no prayers, just for one day. Life is good. She says, two states, "being and not-being."

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Dec 24, 09:15pm

I spoke to Carol a little while ago. She said to me, "Susan we'll talk again if I make it." I told her she will make it. She said everyone is telling her that. She said she hopes to make it. I could tell she meant that very strongly, though she sounded so weak. There are miracles. We could put our collective energy around a miracle for Carol, we could do that.
    Ann Bogle and Bobbi Lurie have also been in contact with Carol, and Ann will be travelling to be with Carol on Christmas day. How great a friend is Ann Bogle. About the best there is.

Ann Bogle
    Dec 24, 09:55pm

It means so much that Susan and others are visiting and calling her. It takes courage all around. Her eyes have gotten worse, but her imagination is still on strong. Yesterday, she said to her good old friend, Douglas, who has been by her side since September, "Douglas, why are you wearing dogs on your feet?"

• Tania_h_2017.thumb
    Tania Hershman
    Dec 24, 10:45pm

I've just heard about Carol, I am so sorry to hear this, if any of you see her this week please send her my love and much strength. xxx

Ann Bogle
    Dec 24, 11:01pm

I will, Tania.

Susan Tepper
    Dec 24, 11:51pm

Carol saying: "Douglas, why are you wearing dogs on your feet?" is not incongruous with the way her story mind works. She is an original, in the truest sense.

• Sam_and_me_1.thumb
    Larissa Shmailo
    Dec 25, 02:00am

Ann, give her my love.

Carol told me earlier this week that her doctor was helping her with visualizations.

Of what, I asked.

Of death, she answered.

I have told her consistently to hold on, fight, etc. But this seems like denial now, a denial Carol doesn't have. Against her will, I put her in the hands of my God, and let go.

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Dec 26, 02:54pm

I read Marcus' lovely tribute to Carol on the board before I read this link. Please, Ann, tell Carol she touched my life with her intelligence and her fierceness. I admire her courage and send positive energy her way.

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Dec 26, 03:24pm

Devastated to hear this news. Brave Carol is a creative and human inspiration.

Susan Tepper
    Dec 26, 04:54pm

Just a few things I've gotten to know about Carol and would like to share:
    She loves beautiful exotic jewelry from the world over.
    She wears vivid colors together, lots of turquoise and reds and amazing patterns.
    Once at KGB she had on a gold lame coat that was vintage. She looked gorgeous in it with her black hair.
    She has a great sense of humor that spills into her stories.
    She was a very good series host when presenting other writers.
    She was incredibly kind to me when I was unwell.
    She was a daughter dedicated to her failing mother.
    This, I hope, sums up a little of Carol for those who've not met her.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Dec 26, 07:58pm

Sad news. Sending thoughts.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Dec 26, 08:37pm

Sorry to hear about Carol. Always inspired by her. I send my love and warm thoughts.

• Ken%20xmas%20hat.thumb
    Gabriel Orgrease
    Dec 26, 09:33pm

I am saddened by this news.

Ann Bogle
    Dec 26, 11:07pm

Thank you all for signing this board and for your thoughts and wishes. Thank those who are posting pieces for Carol at Fictionaut and elsewhere online.

I saw Carol this morning. When she first became ill in August and learned of her condition in September, she didn't wish it to be widely known (on the Internet) in keeping with dignity and privacy, something I understand well. People have been writing to me to ask about her condition. It is tempting to tell people what it is not, so instead I tell them what it is. She has lung cancer that spread to her brain. The surgery on her brain went very well. Then she underwent radiation. There were complications, such as pneumonia, that made it impossible for her to receive chemotherapy. She is resting, she has pain, she has lost most of her eyesight but can recognize voices and names by sound. Her brown eyes, once so shrewd and centered, are soft and gentle and inquiring now.

The hospice where she is staying is beautiful, serene, with many spaces available for quiet talking, and gardens outside with walking paths.

A group of her friends are gathered at her house in Asheville, NC, that she turned into a writers' retreat last year, before she knew of her illness. I am staying in the Donald Barthelme room until January 4. There are rooms named after Franz Kafka, Dorothy Parker, and Gertrude Stein.

The show dedicated to her on WordPlay will I hope be available this week at Asheville FM. The address is www.ashevillefm.org/wordplay. Then it will be archived at a different site. I'll give the address of the archive when I have it.

Four of her friends spoke about her work, read from her book, Giraffes in Hiding, as well as some of her new work, and listened to Carol's recordings of "Destination" and "What to Do With the Babies." We closed with Marcus Speh's reading of her "A Tourist in Siberia." I heard from an Israeli listener that the broadcast was a little difficult to hear. Please give me feedback if you listened to it, as there may be a way the recording can be edited for the archive. Also, I will be the guest on the show on New Years' Day, discussing my own work, and the feedback will be helpful.

Our attitude here as her friends is a little festive. We ate a many-course meal at her house last night and toasted Carol with different kinds of wine. We know Carol from different parts of her life and time zones. Our coming together has been very inspiring. Hearing from others who live far away and cannot be here is also inspiring.

There is a real hope in keeping alive the legacy of her magazine, Mad Hatters' Review.

I am passing on messages to her from all of you individually.

Ann Bogle
    Dec 27, 12:19am

Thanks, Jeff Davis. The link is live:

http://www.ashevillefm.org/wordplay/

Ann Bogle
    Dec 27, 12:21am

Hit the play button on the "Listen" panel.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Dec 30, 12:39am

Thank you Ann.

Carol, I had no idea you were sick, and even though you do not know me, I know of you and your beautiful, inspiring, challenging words. I will keep you in my thoughts and be thankful for the gifts you have given this world. Much peace on your journey...

Ann Bogle
    Dec 30, 02:59am

Larissa Shmailo posted at FB:

"Carol Novack is dead. She died of lung cancer today at 8:55 pm. She was a genre-defying writer of lyrical and inventive work who single-handedly brought together thousands of artists from around the globe in collaboration and exploration as publisher of the groundbreaking Mad Hatters' Review. She was also my good friend, quite irreplaceable."

I was with her at the hospice this evening until about 8 p.m. I am borrowing Larissa's words. Thank you, Carol.

Susan Tepper
    Dec 30, 11:14pm

So incredibly sad.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Dec 30, 11:50pm

Ditto what Susan says. I can only weep for this loss, and yet smile for the legacy that Carol has created. Thanks, Ann, for your updates and support.

• Jolly%20roger.thumb
    Michael Gillan Maxwell
    Jan 04, 11:38pm

Respect - blessings - love - light.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.