Forum / zen and the art of the pen

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 15, 04:22pm

Would anyone be interested in a group that has for its focus the nature and the spirit of zen (as opposed to Zen, which is a formal discipline).

In my own perception, zen is a way of expression, an idea that has its roots in Zen, but is more in tune with art than with the disciplines and traditions of Zen Buddhism. It embraces a desire to understand ... and a willingness to explore ... the mind as it relates to the world through the utility of the written word, an art of expression that acts as a bridge between experiential sensations, abstract thinking, and attempts to define the undefinable concepts.

It's something I see as the root of flash fiction or, at the very least, a perfect goal, prose that eschews form and structure in favor of wrapping a net of words around an idea.

It is not poetry, but prose and therein, I think, is what flash fiction becomes in its best form, a not-a-poem, not-a-story, but a 'flash' of insight.

Think about it. I'm not trying to start a revolution, just ... to solidify the practice of flash fiction as something beyond mere entertainment (not that there's anything wrong with entertainment). It could be an art form with a profound impact on literature as we know.

Anyone interested?

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 15, 04:24pm

Correction - ...literature as we know it.

• Meg%20profile%20pic.thumb
    Meg Tuite
    Jul 15, 04:51pm

I would love to give it a try, James!! My most favorite is poetic prose, even in flash!! I'm willing to jump in!

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jul 15, 05:21pm

Absolutely. And how about stories that dance around that theme? Quite a few of mine lately derive in meditation and/or yogic traditions. Peace...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 15, 06:54pm

Meg and Linda .. fine. I'm thinking of taking this farther than group, eventually, but would like to have some interest here for refinement of the idea ... input.

Could maybe become a focused anthology in future tense terms if it has enough substance, enough quality in terms of participation.

Linda, flash fiction, stories that dance around the theme are a place to start. I've been writing flash pieces that dance around Zen koans and that's where the idea 'rupted like a mini-satori volcano ... though with a puff instead of a boom.

If ten or so people are interested, I'd start a group. Three down, seven to go.

• Meg%20profile%20pic.thumb
    Meg Tuite
    Jul 15, 07:26pm

"I've been writing flash pieces that dance around Zen koans and that's where the idea 'rupted like a mini-satori volcano ... though with a puff instead of a boom." Beautiful, James, I think you have the makings of one right there!! Always love your comments!!!

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jul 15, 11:57pm

very interesting idea, JD

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Jul 16, 12:12am

I'm really interested in this concept or concepts James. Very intrigued.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 16, 01:36am

Susan and Robert makes five. Five more people and we'll get serious, eh?

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Jul 16, 01:59am

In.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 16, 02:38am

That's six ... we just need four more.
    Step right up, folks, take a chance ...
    Ya just might win a Kewpie doll or a big panda ...
    Waddya mean, what's a Kewpie doll?

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jul 16, 07:28am

I'm up for anything writerly, but I'll need a wee bit of time to research Zen first. I have to plead ignorance, though I do like to read Dalai Lama quotes when I need calmed. So count me in, but don't expect anything super quick - need to read a bit first [and I'm looking forward to it!]

I'd rather have pie than Kewpie.

Gill

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 16, 12:33pm

Gill is # 7. Three more. And, yes, pie is a good thing ... pecan?

• Dscf4986.thumb
    Andrew Stancek
    Jul 16, 01:07pm

In.

I can already feel the Zen master's cudgel on my back, and hear "three more years of study before we pose the question again, Worthless One."

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jul 16, 02:54pm

May I have time to figure out what a koan is?

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jul 16, 02:55pm

Can of Koans.

Okay, I'm in.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 16, 05:40pm

Okay, that's ten. Now we have a quorum.

MaryAnne, a koan is a question, one of many questions in succession that a zen master will use to gauge the progress of his disciples. The first question posed is generally, "We all know the sound of two hands clapping. What, then, is the sound of one hand clapping?"

The answers to these questions are not necessarily reasonable, discernable through logic, but are attained through 'satori' ... which is enlightenment. Only the Zen master can tell whether or not the answer is correct ... and ... you can give what is considered the correct answer and it may still be wrong if the master so decides.

There are collections of koans. Here are two you can access online:

http://perso.ens-lyon.fr/eric.boix/Koan/Shasekishu/index.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/zen/cgi-bin/koan-index.pl

There are others, but different koans are used by masters from different schools.

Okay, for the group ... maybe I can pose standards for people to digest. Because the group is being formed around the 'zen' concept which draws its roots from Zen practices, perhaps that standard should revolve around koans ... for instance, my flash fiction ...

http://www.fictionaut.com/stories/james-lloyd-davis/stop-the-runaway-horses

... was derived from the koan which simply states, "Stop the runaway horses."

If, as a group so formed with a goal of putting together flash fiction in the mode of zen, then this would be one way ... to treat a koan as a starting point, but we can discuss that.

One question. Should this be a private group?
    Another question .. Are you interested in putting together an anthology for publication?

If the answer to the second question is yes, then it should be a private group, but there is a level of commitment presumed in putting together an anthology.

The how of it is something we can figure out along the way, but these two questions seem important.

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jul 16, 05:51pm

Yes to the second from me, anyway. "Hallo, my name is Gill, and I'm a print addict". Whether online or paper, it's a big fat 'aye' from me. I think you're right re. that meaning yes to the first question, too. Also, I think perhaps a workshop option for it would be great, because I for one am in unfamiliar territory [the best of territories!] and would welcome guidance so I'm not lowering the bar in some way. This sounds brilliant fun - already got an idea for the koan you wrote about, 'Stop the runaway horses'.

• Dscf4986.thumb
    Andrew Stancek
    Jul 16, 06:17pm

I would say YES to both questions, and also second Gill's suggestion about a workshop option.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 16, 08:15pm

Gill, Andrew, your votes are noted. Mine is 'yes' as well. I just asked MaryAnne and she chimed in with a 'yes' on both.

Though we have ten people interested, we are still looking for members in what will likely be a private, workshopping group with a goal to developing an anthology of flash fiction in what could be called a 'zen' perspective.

Looking for more members, but I will work on setting up the group this weekend. I'll be sending out invitations to everyone who expresses an interest in this forum. If you want to join us, post a reply here and let us know.

• 20130617_093957.thumb
    Kari Nguyen
    Jul 16, 08:24pm

Yes to this, James. I'd love to join.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Jul 16, 08:48pm

I would recommend The Gateless Barrier – the Wu-Men Kuan, translated by Robert Aitken.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 17, 02:04pm

Okay ... the group is now set up as a private group and I think I've sent out invitations to everyone who expressed an interest. If you have not received an invitation ... let me know right away. If you want to join this group, post a reply here or get a message to me and I'll send you an invitation.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 18, 05:02pm

We could use a few more people. Don't be intimidated by the zen aspect. Many people come by it quite naturally ... no mystery.

Message me or post a reply here and I'll send you an invitation.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 26, 11:18pm

We have twelve members. Could use more.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jul 27, 02:43am

Because I had not a clue about this writing philosophy I got a great book called "Bring Me the Rhinoceros" by J. Tarrant which cuts throught the fog "of some people just get it" and made zen writing much clearer. It features many modern koans and some wonderful advice. If you'd like to join, but are afraid you don't have the time to learn about zen writing, just get a copy of the above, read it and sign up. . . .

• You must log in to reply to this thread.