PDF

Film


by stephen hastings-king


1. First there is a collection of overstuffed living room furniture arrayed about a room. A enters.  He is very large, a giant thumb with a shock of curly hair, a moustache and large square-framed glasses.   He wears a curious paisley shirt and dials a black ceramic telephone.  Soon his high voice is speaking extremely quickly in a language you do no know or maybe just speaking so fast that he trips over words, shatters them, swallows them, sends them spinning in strange directions. 

 

Center below between the viewer and action, a subtitle appears: “They've taken the town.”  The letters that comprise it are badly glued in place.  They fall off the front of the film.


2. Second you see A arrive in the apartment of another which is almost identical to the first.  B is very large, a giant thumb with a shock of curly black hair, a moustache and large square glasses. A and B each wears a curious paisley shirt.  They are different one from the other. Almost immediately their high voices launch into a tumbling, spinning duet of words full of strange combinations, sounds and saliencies.   

 

Center below between the viewer and action a badly glued subtitle appears: “They've taken the town. We should go look.”  It's like the film is silent except you can hear it. 


3. Side by side they walk up a gravelly desert hill.  They look around, talking animatedly.

A single gunshot drops A to the ground.


4. B is now on all fours, running his hands through the hair of the other.  What he whispers is repeating.



5. From above B is seen in a different area on the ground.  Around him there are two horsemen.  A third stands by him holding a long pole.  On the ground, B is talking extremely fast in his high curious voice like being afraid makes the words pour out even faster.  The standing man beats him with a long stick, gesturing for him to shut up.  From overhead it is obvious that he can't, he can't.

 

There is a flash of metal at the end of the stick just before the standing man runs the tip into him.  The screen goes red and silent.

Endcap