PDF

The wooden man: 12 fragments for Easter


by James Knight


The wooden man came to her in a cloud in a vision in a dream in a story. When he spoke, his tongue clacked against his teeth.

——

As soon as she woke up, she knew the wooden man was in her belly. She felt heavy with him, fatigued. All she wanted to eat was sawdust.

——

The wooden man was born on the night of a storm that felled a thousand trees. He fell from his red confinement and jittered across the floor.

——

The wooden man had no time for childhood. He set to work immediately, splicing humans with sheep in an underground laboratory.

——

The wooden man slept in a coffin. Every morning was a new life. The broken animals he fabricated bleated and cheered every time the lid flew off.

——

The wooden man lay down on the sea and floated. Seagulls perched on him, shrieking with laughter as the waves swelled.

——

The wooden man made enemies fast. They feared his stiff authority. When they grudgingly shook his hand, he gave them splinters.

——

On the 13th of every month, the wooden man stepped into a wardrobe, to commune with his father. His heart glowed. Words fell like ashes.

——

One day, the wooden man's enemies caught him breaking the laws of physics by being in two places at once. He was sentenced to burning.

——

The wooden man requested lamb chops as his last meal. He washed them down with human blood. Then they stuck him on a bonfire and partied.

——

The day after the wooden man's burning, the wind puffed his ashes into a cloud. The sheep-men swore it made the shape of a fish.

——

The factories closed years ago. The city belongs to the rats. The wooden man's ghost sits in a skip, carving forgotten names into his arms.

Endcap