Forum / Let's talk fashion!

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Mar 10, 04:39pm

http://www.oprah.com/style/Spring-Fashion-Modeled-by-Rising-Young-Poets/5

Fashion Extremes: Celebrate Your Unique Style
    Modeling the latest looks, eight rising poets express their dynamic personal styles—and show you how to cultivate your own.

O, The Oprah Magazine | March 08, 2011

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 10, 05:12pm

Okay. This is scary. Stephen-King-clown-monsters-in-the-closet scary. If ever there was motivation to emigrate ...

• Innis_author_photo.thumb
    Julie Innis
    Mar 10, 06:22pm

What? No sweatpants and dirty t-shirts? Or is that just me? Thank the gods to Oprah for showing me the errors of my unfashionable writing ways.

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Mar 10, 06:56pm

I realize there were no men featured in the Oprah article, but I'm disturbed by the lack of spandex and capes I'm seeing in the up-and-coming writerly types in general.

Look, I know that, unlike me, not everyone is born both with super powers and an inclination toward writing, but, come now, I think we can do a bit better.

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Mar 10, 07:05pm

Makes me wanna go "Ew!"

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 10, 08:00pm

While capes have, in the past, been used to great effect, spandex garments for men are no less than perverse in a very subtle and possibly creepy way. (i.e. imagine your grandfather in an ensemble a la Freddie Mecury)

When writing, I prefer loose garments and comfortable shoes. Truman Capote might have done his best work in silk pajamas and a robe, but I am NOT Truman Capote. Years ago, I would wear a black Stetson when I wrote, but my wife has hidden the damned thing and refuses to tell me where.

White socks? Or black? Boxers or briefs? Jeans or Dockers? Oxfords, sneakers, western boots or Louis Vuittons? (For gonzo types, Glock or S & W) Or do you simply prefer to write au naturel? What do you wear when you're writing? Enquiring minds want to know. How about a full layout of Fictionauters in the blog, dressed in their favorite writing garb? Sort of a photo montage in the style of Vanity Fair.

Or is that just too weird? I have a feeling the weirdness goes farther than I could imagine before this thread runs out. But then, maybe Oprah set the benchmarks for weird too high for the likes of us to surmount.

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Mar 10, 09:46pm

Non-superhero spandex on men: plain weird.

Non-superhero capes on men: mostly weird, at least at this point in time, though I'm sure there are some advanced age Eastern European counts that could pull it off still.

Superhero spandex and capes on men: the perfect mix of style and function (just don't look too close at how it all comes together).

At this point in my life, I figured I'd be firmly entrenched as a boots and Glock kind of writer. Life is crazy and unpredictable!

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Mar 10, 10:29pm

well. those young upcoming poets must be raking in the dough -- pants @ $465 a clip?

pjs for me. and yoga pants and loose tops. no shoes.

spandex on men, superhero or no, just plain weird. often ditto for the gals, too. peace...

• You must log in to reply to this thread.