Forum / What web zines do you read?

• Dscn2179.thumb
    Joe D
    Mar 08, 05:12am

From the more established literary magazines to the up and comers: Which ones do you read? Just curious as I think online lit mags have caught up if not exceeded their print counterpoints and would like some new things to check out.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Mar 08, 05:26am

I'd be hard put to say them all since I usually try to sample almost every new one I come across, and certainly every one I submit to( now there's a list growing longer).

But here are a few:
    A Minor; Prick of the Spindle; This; Litsnack;Annalemma; Mad Hatters Review;Tri-Quarterly;Agni; Bare South;Scythe; Metazen;Budapest Literary Review;Brooklyn;Bull;Matchbook;Blue Print Quarterly;Adirondack Review. Collagist. Negative Suck.Pank. Etc.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Mar 08, 12:22pm

I read stories by people whose stories I've read and liked already; similarly with poems; with essays -- since most of the writers I know write fewer of those -- I might be intrigued based on the writers' other work in fiction and poetry. Writers link their own and others' published work at Facebook. I use Facebook a lot as a map or guide -- I follow recommendations there. Magazines I like are elimae, Wigleaf, Blip, Mad Hatters' Review, Drunken Boat, Anderbo, Esque, MiPOesias, HTML Giant, fwriction, Metazen, Istanbul Literary Review, Jacket. Sites I like are Ubuweb, Penn Sound, Electronic Poetry Center, New York Review of Books, Silliman's blog -- but the list of sites I visit is much longer. I read in hard copy The New Yorker, The Paris Review, Harper's.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Mar 08, 12:24pm

A good cutline can get me to read anything by a writer new or familiar to me.

• 242571683_10161684842776030_7257569444107088687_n.thumb
    Dulce Maria Menendez
    Mar 08, 01:06pm

I can't help but to read my own.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Mar 08, 02:09pm

Oops. Istanbul Literary Review of course. Thanks for the correction Ann. Apologies, Gloria.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Mar 08, 02:43pm

I don't read as many as I'd like to -- time is limited. BUT... I do read these on a regular basis: Wigleaf, Smokelong, Word Riot, elimae, Eclectic Flash, ILR, Blue Print Review, Blue Fifth Review.

I tend to click on links of folks' whose work I like and follow to new venues.

Most of my reading is here. I've started to read at Zoetrope.

I subscribe to THE SUN and Bellevue Literary Review and when they arrive in my mailbox, I am sooooo happy! Peace...

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Mar 08, 03:57pm

Necessary Fiction seems, well...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 08, 04:32pm

... necessary?

Camroc Press Review, Istanbul Literary Review, A-Minor, Metazen, Litsnack and This ... on a regular basis, having been exposed to them here. I follow certain writers wherever they show up and have been reading around the net like a harlot, checking out possible places to submit.

I will pick up the occassional print magazine, such as Paris Review, certain university lit mags when they show up at Borders, but I spend a lot more time with novels these days.

I do read noir sites now and then, because I don't really think of noir as a genre, more as a form

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Mar 08, 05:12pm

I'll add The Smoking Poet and Connotation Press to the mix. I subscribe in hard copy to The New York Review of Books and The London Review of Books--When they arrive, it's like Christmas in my mailbox.

• B9498678870c4959.thumb
    Brian Mihok
    Mar 08, 05:23pm

I'd add >kill author, ROBOT MELON, Bartleby Snopes, and Dark Sky to this growing list of awesomeness.

• 0388e1260hbw.thumb
    Mark Reep
    Mar 08, 05:31pm

I don't have time for nearly as much reading as I'd like, and mostly I read writers whose work I enjoy most. As Ann says, fb is helpful with that. Smokelong, Wigleaf, A-Minor, Word Riot, Camel Saloon, elimae, BFN are a few of the places I do stop by regularly.

A recent add to that list is Orange Room Review. The issue I checked out included Justin Hyde, Howie Good, Lyn Lifshin, and several others. Impressive lineup, elegantly presented. Another for the bookmarks.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Mar 08, 05:56pm

I would be remiss to not mention JMWW. Jeesh. Peace...

• Reviewreviewbook-2.thumb
    The Review Review
    Mar 12, 11:17pm

This is a great forum. I love to see writers actually reading lit mags! If any of you talented folks would like to review a journal, please get in touch!

http://www.TheReviewReview.net

• You must log in to reply to this thread.