Forum / Death Watch

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Feb 09, 06:35pm

My story, Death Watch, was published in the June issue of The Battered Suitcase. Since then, it has been suggested to me to turn this story into a novel. If you are up to it, please read the story here at FN and let me know your thoughts: http://www.fictionaut.com/stories/matthew-a-hamilton/death-watch

Also, order a copy of The Battered Suitcase at: http://vagabondagebookscom.ipage.com/bookstore/

Thank you,
    -Matthew

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Feb 09, 09:32pm

Hi Matt:

Just read and replied on your story. Liked it.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Feb 09, 09:58pm

Death Watch is a masterpiece. I think it would be a mistake to expand it into a novel. It's completely powerful just the way it is. Matt,this is amazing work. Be proud of it. It's going to be around for a long,long time.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    W.F. Lantry
    Feb 09, 11:32pm

Matt,

Novels (or poems by the way, whole strings of poems) written or set the night before the execution are a time honored trope. Think Tony Hecht, or Malory. And isn't the present tense of Lolita set in prison: "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury," he writes, I believe from his cell?

So there's plenty of precedent. But only you can say whether the story moves you enough to spend that much time on it. 100,000 words is nothing to sneeze at... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Feb 10, 12:45am

Super story Matt, and congrats on the pub. I left more at the story, but a novel would be super -- just be prepared to love this character! Peace...

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Feb 10, 01:15am

This is a great place to get published! Congrats Matthew, you are just rolling...

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Feb 10, 02:05am

Great news, Matthew.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Feb 10, 02:16am

Way to go, Matthew! I ordered the magazine and also I agree about developing this into a novel. That is, if it is your truth.

• Dark.thumb
    M
    Feb 10, 03:27am

I just noticed a discussion going on here about this great piece of yours Matthew. I hope I haven't stirred up anything unnecessarily with the novel comment on your original post. It's a great story. The tone reminded me of Xiao a bit as well as the circumstance/trope - ala Bill's comment - but I agree this would have to feel right to you, such a project. Congratulations on its publication. It is powerful as it stands and good luck with whatever you decide.

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Feb 10, 01:05pm

Thanks everyone for the the kind words and support. If I do write a novel, it would be far into the future. I have a lot of other projects I'm working on now.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.