Forum / Inspiration

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Aug 23, 09:39pm

I've been getting a healthy supply of rejection letters lately, then remembered this quotation:

"If a writer is so cautious that he never writes anything that cannot be criticized, he will never write anything that can be read. If you want to help other people you have got to make up your mind to write things that some men will condemn."

-Thomas Merton

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Aug 24, 07:09am

Thank you, Matt. I needed that.

Besides, if you get enough of them, they make delightful, interesting wallpaper.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Aug 24, 08:05am

or cheap bird-cage liners.

Thanks matt. facing my own slew of late, so much needed boost. peace...

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Aug 24, 08:22am

Matt, a nice bit of inspiration there. The rejections are demoralizing but we must forge ahead.

• Picture.thumb
    Ian Ayris
    Aug 24, 09:16am

Top stuff, Matt. Another yellow sticky note for the computer. I find it only takes one acceptance to wipe out all those kick in the stomach rejections. Then I just start again. Wait for the rejections, hoping just that single acceptance will come along to wipe them all out.

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Aug 24, 01:33pm

Matthew-

I throw my rejections away with the cat litter. Somehow this appeals to my sick humor.
    Rejections are just part of writing. Ian, you are right. When you get an acceptance, it does wipe out all those rejections.
    Just keep sending out. There are so many places to send to. I am happy about that!
    I like that quote!

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Aug 24, 01:41pm

(I believe Mr. Merton is talking about the value of the ideas being explored in the writing, not the writing itself. But I'm glad to have read it.)

• You must log in to reply to this thread.