Forum / Pen Names

• 408a4808.thumb
    Kait Mauro
    Jul 29, 04:41pm

I am curious to know if any of my fictionaut friends have published their work under a nom de plume? I have been playing with the idea, though I'm leaning towards continuing to use my real name.

Kait

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Jul 29, 04:44pm

Ah, you may have come here a bit too late to have had the pleasure of knowing the great Finnegan Flawnt.

• 408a4808.thumb
    Kait Mauro
    Jul 29, 05:56pm

Haha actually I've had some email correspondence with him via Like Birds Lit. His pen name killed him, or something to that effect, no?

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Jul 29, 08:11pm

Finnegan was becoming all too real in the world and marcus the man needed to step out of the paper bag. It was brave to do what he did for so long and brave to stop when he did.It was performance art of the highest caliber. Plus the writing art that came out of it is still simply amazing and like nothing else. We were all inspired over and over.Now.Personally I used to just go by dp because that's what my friends actually call me, but people thought I was being coy,cute or difficult. Then I tried Darryl P. tHEN JUST dARRYL. Nah, too Madonna or Prince. Now I'm just me full name and I like it like that.But it's always fun to play,eh?.

• Dscn6501.thumb
    Jeanne Holtzman
    Jul 31, 11:25pm

Perhaps because I have a professional life outside writing, I wish I had started publishing under a pen name from the start. I still occasionally use a pen name - especially when I was looking for a job, but it seems a bit fractured to be writing under 2 names, and too late to completely transition to the pen name.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Aug 01, 07:42am

Never really liked my name when I was younger, been called different variations of it in different places, Jimmy Lloyd Davis, Jim Davis, J. Lloyd, James, Jim, JD, etc. I considered and used a few pen names over the years, Jimmy Diego, Diego Rivera, Cyrus Proudhammer ... even had some pretty good nicknames at various times, Jim Bob, Davey, Mad Dog, Mister Bear, etc.

Ultimately, it really doesn't matter what you are called and the use of pen names never made a dime's worth of difference. Ultimately, it's the work... your work... that matters and a given name is just as good a place as any to tie up the horse you rode in on.

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Aug 01, 09:29am

I wish I would have written under my original name which is Gloria Mindak. I had so many publications under Gloria Mindock that I kept it as that. My family changed the spelling so many years ago.
    I have a pen name. It is Sveta Dobri. I hardly use it. It was an experiment really to have it. I should just retire it totally. I hope there is no such name as this.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Aug 02, 06:31pm

I don't use a pen name -- too vain I suppose. But my complex, hyphenated last name gets butchered all the time, so it's sort of like having a pen name. ;^) I was thinking about LJ Rowling but...

• 408a4808.thumb
    Kait Mauro
    Aug 04, 06:29pm

I have a pen name picked out incase I ever feel the absolute need to use one - but for now I am going to stick to my real name. I am OCD about having everything listed together like that, for now at least. :)

• You must log in to reply to this thread.