Forum / invites still working?

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Jan 08, 05:36am

Having trouble inviting someone. Process only allows input of an email address, but this not being received by invitee. How does one do this?

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jan 08, 04:31pm

Good luck if you solve this mystery, Eamon. The invite function has been broken down, for--what?--over a year maybe.The ship careens on, unpiloted toward some unknown port of call. Whither Fictionaut?

• Tux.thumb
    Gary Percesepe
    Jan 08, 10:42pm

sigh....

i've had trouble with the invite function also, but have not tried it recently....

• Frankie Saxx
    Jan 28, 09:41pm

There are half a dozen people, over the past year, I'd have liked to invite.

sigh....

• Image.thumb
    Charlotte Hamrick
    Jan 29, 04:08am

Sad. It's just so sad.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jan 29, 03:48pm

This is entropy.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Feb 08, 07:05pm

Or maybe not entropy. Some of you may have noticed as I did that after months of inactivity, Fictionaut finally acquired a new member. Welcome Ray Nessly! As of this past Dec.15th. Out of curiosity, I wrote to Ray and asked him how he managed it, but short of applying repeatedly he didn't actually know. Did someone invite him or did the gatekeeper finally open the gate a crack? And who is the gatekeeper anyway?

Jurgen, is it really too much to ask, how, if at all, does this work?

I'm clearly not the only one who thinks Fictionaut could use an infusion ( or transfusion) of new blood

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Feb 09, 04:02am

This is nihilistic entropy, anarchy without the bombs. A"...not with a bang but a wimper..." kind of entropy. It's like the end of a movie where the projector keeps turning and the end of the reel flapflapflaps and you wake up, realize that everyone's left and the theater's dark except for a little light from the projector booth and you listen to the flapflapflap and you shout...
    "Anybody there?"
    It's a blackout from a Roald Dahl fiction and any moment, there will be mimes and... unseen accordians. Oh, the horror.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Feb 09, 10:24am

Great flapflap James. Exactly how I feel.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Feb 09, 10:25am

David, I just emailed another new member to ask the same question.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Feb 09, 04:49pm

James: The only response I can think of to your all too vivid enactment is an appreciative, " Ugh."

Eamon: Without blowing anyone's cover--more power to them, I say--there may be (are, I suspect) backdoor ways to get on that don't use the invite function.

• Tolkien's_grave.thumb
    Wesley Baines
    Feb 09, 09:28pm

I hope this gets resolved soon. I have a friend who is one of the best writers I've ever known, and she can't seem to get into Fictionaut. I feel like a lot of great writers are being shut out right now because of this.

• Frankie Saxx
    Feb 22, 03:37pm

Eamon:

If you mean Ellie Lee, I invited her.

Or, more accurately, I went through my previously sent invites from back in the days when invites were inviting. I located an unactivated one, and was able to get the code for that invite and pass on the account to Ellie.

It seems the codes, once issued, don't expire. I expect a thriving Ebay market in second-hand Fictionaut accounts to spring up momentarily.

I would very much like to see invites reactivated; there are a number of writing sites been dying the slow death, and nothing springing up to replace them.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Feb 25, 04:58am

Is there anybody in there?
    Just nod if you can hear me.
    Is there anyone home?
    Come on now
    I hear you're feeling down.
    Well I can ease your pain
    Get you on your feet again.
    Relax.
    I'll need some information first.
    Just the basic facts.
    Can you show me where it hurts?

Pink Floyd

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Feb 27, 02:19pm

Can you hear me, Major Tom?
    Can you hear me, Major Tom?

• Emilyeye_bw.thumb
    Emily Bertholf
    Mar 31, 07:10pm

I'm always late to the crowd, but better than being shut out. Trying to invite friends too and no go. Scratching my head.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Apr 05, 06:02pm

I agree with all of you here, but we should (maybe??) be grateful that the site is still up? I mean, we are lucky to have this community (she says, having been absent for 3 years..) Still.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Apr 05, 07:33pm
  • Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Apr 07, 03:39pm

I suppose it can seem like carping to keep revisiting this proposition, but you know as well as anyone, Meg, that the Fictionaut that is now is a shadow of what it once was. One by one, its former features have disappeared: Fictionaut Faves, the weekly update that ( miraculously) automatically appeared in our mailboxes, Invitations that were received and activated by the recipient to provide a steady flow of new members, a messaging system that delivered Fictionaut messages to your home e-mail. Weep, Jesus. Okay, so that's all gone, and I guess we've learned to live without it. But, why not at least put the work into restoring the invitation system? Tell the membership what it would take and ask us if we could contribute to getting it back? I know there are plenty of us who'd be willing to contribute. Frankly, I question whether anyone bothers to listen anymore. It's a shame to have built a beautiful functioning home, and then left it to crumble from neglect. I know it can be a pain in the ass, but we all have a responsibility to our creations. Don't we?

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Apr 07, 09:48pm

Bonk! ( sound of head hitting brick wall.) Again.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Apr 08, 03:53am

I'm thinking... library at Alexandria.
    The burning of the Jaffna library.
    Biblioclasm et al.
    Maybe Fictionaut's slow, painful death pales in comparison, but hey... obscurity hurts.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.