Forum / Chapbooks

• 408a4808.thumb
    Kait Mauro
    Jul 26, 02:42pm

Hello all,

I've been very intrigued with the concept of chapbooks lately and was wondering how many of my fictionaut friends have made them (or just read any really good ones they wouldn't mind recommending).

I am trying to think of some interesting things I could include in mine other than just some poems and postcard fiction... if I decide to make one, that is.

:)
    Kait

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Jul 26, 02:55pm

The most outstanding chapbooks, Kait, I've ever read is the Quarternote Chapbook Series from Sarabande Books... Frank Bidart (His chap, Music Like Dirt was the first chapbook of poems to be a finalist for the Pulitzer), James Tate, Louise Glück, Charles Wright, Robert Pinsky, Gerald Stern, Josephine Jacobsen, Jean Valentine… An amazing group of writers and works.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jul 26, 03:22pm

Here's a good one ;^)

http://www.magcloud.com/browse/Issue/100728

I'm starting to pile thrugh my poems and stories myself, looking for theme(s) that pop up which might bind some of my works. Kind of fun!

BTW, I see contests for chapbooks, some of which have as prize publication, so keep your eyes out for those. Peace...

• Trees.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Jul 26, 05:24pm

At the other end of the spectrum--I'm almost finished making a little book of four of my stories, using Microsoft Publisher and an assortment of free downloads. It's been interesting. A learning experience.

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Jul 27, 10:55am

A friend of mine once made a chapbook that came in a small square cardboard box. All the poems inside were printed on crumbled pieces of different colored paper(I helped him do this--took a long time) so that the box rattled when you picked it up. You had to carefully unfold each one to read it and then crumble it back up if you wanted to keep its integrity. Another friend cut all the letters of his poem out in cardboard and gave a map on the front in the shape of a black and white hand silk screened noir matchbook cover to reconstructing the work in its entirety. For my own chapbooks, like LIGHTNING BUG KARMA, I often met an artist who's work I liked(in this case Bruce Siple-a cartoonist) and we'd put out some limited/numbered thing together, usually no more than 100 copies.I love working with different artists on chapbooks. When two artists meet like that it can be thrilling.I think chapbooks are best as one-shots. Limited. Of the moment.Quirky little stacks of home-made art.You either get one or you don't.

• 408a4808.thumb
    Kait Mauro
    Jul 28, 11:02am

I have officially begun putting my first 'chapbook' of sorts together. :) It's been fun so far.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jul 28, 09:07pm

Gloria Mindock's "Cervena Barva Press" has published many fine chapbooks of leading poets and fiction writers, as well as the works of emerging talent

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Jul 29, 10:06am

Thanks Susan for mentioning Cervena Barva Press.

We actually have published 52 chapbooks since 2006. Generally, we publish about 12 chapbooks a year in poetry and fiction. We even published a short play recently as a chapbook.

I love chapbooks. They are my most favorite thing to publish.

If anyone wants to take a look, go to my bookstore at:
    www.thelostbookshelf.com
    Look under Cervena chapbooks.

Thanks-
    Gloria

• 408a4808.thumb
    Kait Mauro
    Jul 29, 04:29pm

I will definitely go check out that link and your chapbooks, Gloria. :) Thanks!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.