Forum / So just what is flash fiction anyways?

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Feb 11, 08:10pm

Stumbled upon this just now: Stumbled across this just now: http://fictionsoutheast.org/defining-such-a-thing-as-flash-fiction/#.VNn2S7unc44.wordpress

• Better.thumb

I didn't read this fuckin' thing -- I'm tired, and getting easily annoyed -- but, I remember, there were three (3) books: "Sudden Fiction," "More Sudden Fiction," and "Flash Fiction" that came out in the late '90s, all of 'em going "Hey! Lookit these 2- to 4-page stories, by DeLillo, Borges, Alice Munro, etc. ... who'd'a thunk it?" And so the strain was born: Let's do it on purpose, start pursuing "micro" fiction, 1000 wds. or less, it's just that "flash fiction" stuck. I think I got it right. In 250 words or less.

• Wince_cover2.thumb
    Barry Basden
    Feb 21, 01:02am

Didn't miss a thing. A 663-word definition by an academic.

• Photo.thumb
    Adam Sifre
    Feb 21, 02:33pm

I don't know what it is, but I'm pretty good at it.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Feb 21, 06:26pm

The guy who wrote it loves his own writing...to death.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Feb 22, 12:19pm

I think you might enjoy reading the very short works of Heinrich von Kleist. An introduction to his works is included in his _Five Plays_. The editor and translator is Martin Greenberg (Yale UP). Kleist wrote his very short works before his death at age 34 in 1811.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Feb 23, 08:40pm

1811, ha.

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Feb 28, 06:40pm

I read this, Matt, but I have no idea what he said. Something about shoes?

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Mar 03, 07:19pm

I didn't get even that much, Nonnie. Too arch and too many words I would have had to look up if I cared enuf.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.