Forum / How to pick up women.

• Photo.thumb
    Adam Sifre
    Jan 17, 12:45pm

The easiest and most legal way to pick up a woman is to take a single, writer friend with you to a bar.

While there, look for the woman you are interested in. Her? Are you sure? Okay then.

Next, tell your writer friend that the woman keeps looking at him when he's not looking.
    "Dude, she is totally in to you!"

Then when your writer friend's confidence is high enough, tell him to chat her up.

Next, let them talk, but keep your ears open.
    As soon as he tells her that he's a writer, introduce yourself and mention that you are a doctor.

This will also work if you pretend to be a lawyer, a plumber, or sanitation worker.

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Jan 17, 03:08pm

Sound advice.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Jan 19, 06:06pm

Hilarious! You ought to place this one in the "Stories" thread.

• Photo.thumb
    Adam Sifre
    Jan 20, 12:19am

Not the worst idea.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Jan 22, 04:22pm

Unless your writer has a Nobel in his pants. Here's Saul Bellow on the topic: "All a writer has to do to get a woman is to say he's a writer. It's an aphrodisiac."

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Jan 22, 05:19pm

Mathew: It's not an aphrodisiac here in Los Angeles. Tell women your a writer here and you might as well vomit all over their shoes. Writer = Loser.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Jan 22, 11:22pm

Hear ya, Chris. Same in this East Coast hamlet.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Jan 23, 12:45am

I took a "what kind of lesbian are you" quiz on Facebook, and I learned that I am a femme lesbian. There were only women to pick among in the quiz and one guy who held zero interest for me. So, now that I know this, I'll need to learn how to pick up women, too, and I am a novice at it. A woman who is, say, a culinary arts champion or an heiress devoted to literature (such as Bryher—Annie Winifred Ellerman) or Peggy Guggenheim might be able to turn my head, turn me around, turn me out, convert me. Typically, real lesbians apply a battery of tests to see who has paid dues and who has not. It is in some places a cult that cannot be exited without social consequence to oneself. So, to make this a little easier, how does a writer pick up a man in a bar? She starts any kind of conversation, or a man starts a conversation with her. Writer does not create a downer first impression, but it gets thick a bit later, even though she, the writer, is less than political, because men start fearing the NSA after they meet her.

• Photo_on_1-21-15_at_3.05_pm.thumb
    Kathy Fish
    Jan 23, 01:08am

Ann, this is like its own perfect little story right here.

• Jane.thumb
    Jane Flett
    Jan 23, 01:22am

Wow. This thread is kind of the perfect microcosm of why I frequently quit Fictionaut, tell myself "no, it's a great place for writing, come on, it can't be that bad", come back, and realise it is indeed that bad.

Congrats, dudes!

And good luck with persuading women to put out in the "most legal" ways you can come up with! (Nice disclaimer.)

And don't even get me started on those lesbians with their batteries.

Ann Bogle
    Jan 23, 08:41pm

Federal law has changed since 2012, signed into existence by President Obama, about the definition of rape. I read about it in _Time_ in 2014. Rape is any unwanted penetration (types listed), however slight. Perhaps that inspired the male authors to consider legalese, Jane. And about lesbians, finger penetration was not allowed, not as a legal mandate but as a social one designed to disprove ideas of Freud held by certain womyn. Shaving was forbidden. Marriage of any kind was prohibited and not sought after politically or personally. Long hair had to be tied in an uncombed pony tail. If a woman leaves the cult after experiencing black female violent crime and her lover has left in a lurch to be with the abandoned one's mentor, then friendship is forbidden, and membership in womankind revoked. Do get me started! I miss about the radicals that they admitted their issues in speeches delivered outdoors at Take Back the Night. :-)

Ann Bogle
    Jan 24, 12:56am

Adam, by the way, praise for the sad humor (I guess you call it, tongue-in-cheek "class" awareness) in the opening scenario (above) that pairs unknown women's interest in class, first class rather than the unknown class (unknowable class as women's is as well) of writers who are men.

I accepted Kathy's idea to cast my first comment as a story. I added my other comment to it in the sidebar after glossing it for revision. It seems surly as an author's note about a group of separatists, and I apologize for that tone. It is just what I remember and no friendship could come of it without lifelong commitment to gender division.

http://fictionaut.com/stories/ann-bogle/take-back-the-night

• Photo.thumb
    Adam Sifre
    Jan 25, 02:40pm

Sometimes I think I can't even walk into a Starbucks and order a coffee, without causing trouble. I meant no disrespect to all the loose and easy women who are willing to take a writer to their beds.

I have nothing but respect for the reading sex.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Jan 25, 09:14pm

Maybe the intent wasn't there, Adam, but you started something that's evidently driven Jane away again. On the positive side, Ann got a new post out of it.

• Photo.thumb
    Adam Sifre
    Jan 25, 09:28pm

She will be back. She forgot to ask for my digits.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.