Forum / Is the novel...?

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Dec 07, 03:38pm

being shunted aside by memoir, now? If so, why? Why now?

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Dec 07, 03:48pm

The Cult of Celebrity is strong in this paparazzi
    twilight.

• Photo.thumb
    Adam Sifre
    Dec 07, 04:32pm

i write good.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Dec 07, 05:20pm

There might be something in what you say, Gary, a best selling memoir being a faster track to personal celebrity than a novel. I wonder if people are more drawn to confessional modes than to those where the writer is hidden behind( or within) the personae of fictional characters. There also seems to be a more deliberate blurring of the lines between the fictional and the autobiographical, (ala Knaussgaard who calls his works novels) with fictional protagonists bearing all of the identifying characteristics, name, history, place of the author. And I wonder about this too? The why of it; why not just call it a memoir?

• Web_bio_newglasses.thumb
    J.A. Pak
    Dec 07, 06:22pm

David, an explanation I've read is that the readers of today want writing based on "reality", "fact". Why non fiction in general outsells fiction and why so many programs on TV are "reality" shows (though most are highly scripted and manipulated).

As to the blurring of lines: it offers more creative flexibility. And too, many memoirs are really "fiction". Sometimes unintentionally (as the family of Madeleine L’Engle will tell you: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004/04/12/the-storyteller-2), sometimes intentionally (more than one memoir in the last few years have been outed as containing lies).

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Dec 07, 08:23pm

Most if not all of Saul Bellows's work was thinly disguised/fictionalized autobiography, thought to be one of the reasons he lost the first four of his five wives.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Dec 08, 01:04am

No.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.