Forum / my article on writer Joseph Kanon at Bloom

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Jan 07, 07:38pm

I'm writing for Bloom, which is a new website devoted to writers who publish their first major work after the age of 40. Great articles on Kate Chopin, Donald Ray Pollack and Deborah Eisenberg, to name a few. The articles are usually accompanied by an interview or video (one of my favorites is poet Spencer Reece talking with musician Dar Williams). I chose to write about Joseph Kanon primarily because his first novel, Los Alamos, caught my attention with Oppenheimer as a character. But I've enjoyed all of his novels. (And I also got to use a couple of the photos I took in New Mexico this summer.) Interview coming on Wednesday.

http://bloom-site.com/2013/01/07/joseph-kanon/

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jan 08, 02:16am

In-depth and interesting, Jane. Fine work.

• Facebook.thumb
    John Riley
    Jan 08, 03:52am

I look forward to reading it. The site sounds interesting too.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Jan 08, 01:32pm

What a great idea, Jane! I'm excited to read the interview and have bookmarked BLOOM also. Thanks for bringing our attention to it. So many zines, so little time!

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Jan 08, 04:47pm

Thanks! I hope you enjoy the site. If you have ideas for writers to feature, I'm open. I'm particularly interested in poets and nonfiction writers as we are kind of fiction heavy at this point.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jan 08, 06:44pm

The bomb was our own " fascination of the abomination," witnessed in my case from afar on Oahu when H-bombs were obliterating tropical atolls during the resumption of testing in the '60's. Thanks for the guide to Kanon, Jane, your review a delight to read itself, more than sufficient to put me on the trail of LOS ALAMOS.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jan 08, 06:44pm

The bomb was our own " fascination of the abomination," witnessed in my case from afar on Oahu when H-bombs were obliterating tropical atolls during the resumption of testing in the '60's. Thanks for the guide to Kanon, Jane, your review a delight to read itself, more than sufficient to put me on the trail of LOS ALAMOS.

• Img_0089.thumb
    Gessy Alvarez
    Jan 09, 02:47am

Fantastic! Will check it out, Jane.

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Jan 09, 07:02pm

The interview is now live. He was very generous in his responses.

http://bloom-site.com/2013/01/09/qa-with-joseph-kanon/

• Wince_cover2.thumb
    Barry Basden
    Jan 09, 07:43pm

Very powerful, Jane, both the article and the interview.

I also read Kornbluth's interview. At the very end, Kanon says, "My concern wasn't with what people SHOULD think, but what they DID think."

I'm reading a lot of old diaries and journals right now and that statement resonates.

Really fine work, Jane. Fascinating man.

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Jan 09, 09:15pm

Great feature and interview. Enjoyed.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.