Forum / maybe

• Blank.thumb
    Soon to be deleted
    Nov 29, 07:37pm

everyone just check my page here. im sure youll all be so relived.

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Nov 29, 07:44pm

Tap into something beyond yourself.

It's there.

It's always been there.

(just like you)

• Photo.thumb
    Adam Sifre
    Nov 29, 07:47pm

I remain conflicted. So what now?

• Blank.thumb
    Soon to be deleted
    Nov 29, 08:15pm

nothing matters.

• Blank.thumb
    Soon to be deleted
    Nov 29, 08:27pm

now there'll be more room for the elitists

• Blank.thumb
    Soon to be deleted
    Nov 29, 08:42pm

nobody really cares anyway so this is a waste of time............................................

Dolemite
    Nov 29, 08:55pm

As a sentient human being you have access to the entire universe.

Free of charge.
    That's a given.

If you can't see beyond your own doo-dah and the Mug-Wumps, that's your own failing.

(of which I posses maybe... Oh, well let's not get into that...)

• Photo.thumb
    Adam Sifre
    Nov 29, 09:00pm

Well, then thank you. I can always use more room.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Nov 29, 10:12pm

The elitists don't really want the space. They already have their own, replete with gated pikes and chain links and Dobermans at the perimeter. They are welcome to it, I say...

• Me.thumb
    Foster Trecost
    Nov 29, 10:51pm

I've said that before, at least a time or two.

• Img_0942.thumb
    Roberto C. Garcia
    Nov 29, 10:55pm

Never quit. Don't give anyone the satisfaction. Keep going, going going. It's the only way. One of my mentors told me if it didn't hurt you wouldn't care.

• Photo.thumb
    Adam Sifre
    Nov 30, 12:16am

Don't underestimTe the joy and freedom of giving up.

• Rebel.thumb
    Sally Houtman
    Nov 30, 01:28am
  • Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Nov 30, 06:10pm

You can't quit writing just because writing is so hard to do in a way that others will get what you are doing. It will just remain on hold. It can wait a long time. Your fingers might get pretty cold.I say give it another shot,Jeff. Surprise the world with your words. We sure could use it.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Nov 30, 07:41pm

Doesn't just knowing there are elitists somewhere, anywhere, on Earth, bum you the fuck out? Well, theoretically, yes, but if you, like me, are striving to attain indomitable smugness, or at least see it as a vaguely attainable objective, it mitigates the bum a tad, don't you think? You're shitting me! No! Get outta town! Pfffffft.

• Photo.thumb
    Adam Sifre
    Nov 30, 10:41pm

There's a secret handshake for my elitist group. If I ever find anyone worthy, I'll teach it to them.

• Untitled_design_-_2024-02-08t014618.097.thumb
    Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Dec 01, 12:05am
  • Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Dec 01, 12:48am

@Misti ~ Martha had me worried there until that last: "...makes us more alive than others." She was sounding a tad too humble until then.

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Dec 01, 01:26am

Yeah, but I'm a bit burned out on audacious writers who blow their own horns at Facebook and don't have much to back up their bodacious boasting. Humility is bueno, I say.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Dec 01, 01:43am

"Billy Breckenheimer once said, 'Humility is the breakfast of champions.' And just who the heck is Billy Breckenheimer you ask? Nobody knows and he wouldn't say."

.............. Mort Sahl (Or was it Chuck Barris? I dunno.)

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Dec 01, 01:45am

I'm a bad ass bitch. That's right. I just don't give a fuck. Buy my books, motherfuckers.

http://www.lulu.com/ebulliencepress

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Dec 01, 01:46am
  • Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Dec 01, 01:51am

Well, these days, unless you're really lucky or really really special, ya gotta hawk your own stuff, Misti. Demeaning, I know, but unless you're willing to settle for a little circle of kindreds, probly as poor as you are ya gotta put it out there on 7th Avenue, as Mick Jagger put it. I literally cannot afford to play the artiste. I can always ignore the boasting of others on FB and Twitter, but if my own shameless hawkery keeps mottling that Bookscan map on Amazon, I'll swallow my pretense of dignity. If it does the trick I can always claim later I fired my publicist.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Dec 01, 01:58am

Just checked out your Lulu page, Misti. You been busy.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Dec 01, 02:00am

I took too long to put together the comment that starts, "Well...", so it's dated, I can see. Still true, tho.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Dec 01, 02:04am

BTW, I started with Lulu but got the hell out when they tried to upsell me on some editing "costs." I went to Booklocker. Good folks, but Amazon won't let them compete with their ebook prices. So last time out I went with Kindle Direct. Did all the formatting myself. Only cost was for a cover design.

Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Dec 01, 02:26am

I've been publishing at lulu and promoting my own stuff/blowing all hell out of my own horn since November 2005. I found lulu via NaNoWriMo. I was able to order a free copy of my novel, Nova's Gone Potty. I've been hooked ever since. I've never paid lulu a dime for editing, never will. I do it all on my own and shall continue to do so.

I don't have a problem with people promoting their own work. My problem with Facebook and the small press in general is people who buy into the whole cult of personality thing, people who tend to coast by on the basis of their looks and charisma and who are too busy flirting their asses off to really do the work. There's no quiet anymore. Facebook is altogether too noisy for me, too crowded with the braying of too many asses.

There should be quiet, sometimes.
    And more ugliness.
    Pretty gets old pretty goddamn quick.

Okay, stepping down from my pedestal to paint my fingernails now.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Dec 01, 02:57am

I meant they were trying to upsell me on additional formatting charges. Not editing. I'm anal when it comes to editing, and get suicidal after something's shipped out or posted and I find so much as a fucking typo or brain fart.

I boycotted Facebook for two or three years until I needed to started pushing books. Then I found some old classmates and Army buddies and made some new friends, but I agree it's much too busy and noisy. Twitter's worse. I only started with that a couple of weeks ago after my latest book went up. Being a former newspaper writer I know the value of headlines, and pride myself on writing provocative Tweet heds. Most of the incoming ones put me to sleep at first glance.

Dolemite
    Dec 01, 03:08am

"until I needed to started"

typo...

;-)

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Dec 01, 12:32pm

Good catch, PI. It's a good thing there's no editing function for comments or I'd be working on pissy little style issues, endlessly.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.