Forum / A Farewell, Sort Of

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Sep 21, 05:32pm

For a good while now, I've struggled to write new fiction, and the passion I once had for it has declined. So, I've decided to not fight it anymore and just stop and pursue other forms of writing. I'll keep my account active here in case I decide to come back some day.

I see writing as a lifelong pursuit, full of ups and downs and changing phases, so I fully expect to get back into fiction at some point. I just don't see it happening in the near future.

Thanks, everyone, for reading my work here and being supportive! Best of luck to you in your writing.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Sep 21, 06:06pm

Sorry to see you go, Christian. Hope we'll have a chance to see those "other forms of writing," you're pursuing. Best of luck with them.

• Innis_author_photo.thumb
    Julie Innis
    Sep 21, 06:28pm

I know this feeling, CB - it ain't fun. Have truly enjoyed geting to know your work here and am certain I will enjoy whatever you decide to write next, in whatever form and/or mode. Best to you.

• Wince_cover2.thumb
    Barry Basden
    Sep 21, 06:41pm

Ah, Chris. I've loved reading and publishing some of your work in CPR. I will miss it greatly.

One piece there, don't forget, is eligible for the 2012 Editor's Favorite, so please don't disappear into the wilds.

But best of luck on your new adventure...

Barry

• Mosaic_man_marcus.thumb
    Marcus Speh
    Sep 21, 07:17pm

Hi Christian, I know what you're talking about in your last three blog posts at "I'm not Emilio Estivez" (still cracks me up that one). I've come to think that blogging as a marketing exercise and/or to keep yourself afloat in the virtual community of mutual admiration is a useful and powerful procrastination device. I still have periods in which I blogged intensely, but without a steady harvesting of visitors (via Fictionaut, Google+, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter) very few people will come your way, and unless you enjoy shouting into a black netherworld, little energy comes back. My own solution has always been to write up a nonfiction storm of blog posts, which I then slowly release into the ether especially during phases when I'm wholly dissatisfied with the net and with the flimsiness of responses and relationships. I'm entering one of those phases now and I feel like an addict who must wean himself from the needle…In any case, no line is ever lost, not on you, not on us, and I wish you all the best. I have enjoyed your stories on and off the blog and I'm sure you're off to a great restart! Three cheers from Berlin!

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Sep 21, 08:27pm

Christian, I have always loved your fiction, and looked forward to reading your stories and flash, and also missed you when you've been less active on the site. Our loss, but hopefully your gain. Keep in touch every so often, please? Thanks for all the support you have given me. And best to you, always.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Sep 21, 08:34pm

Christian, totally understand the ennui that comes with this writing business, sometimes in huge waves. I hope you find the spark again, because you have a rare wry humor that never fails to amaze me. Take care, you. Peace...

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Sep 27, 02:37am

Christian,I support you, and you are correct, this thing has many ups and downs--and sometimes you just have to get off and get some air--but you have many fans and friends here.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.