Forum / Serialized stories

• 2734896685_cccc347f0a_b.thumb
    Kevin Myrick
    Apr 26, 10:24am

Based off of H.M.'s thoughts in a different forum topic (Strictly out of curiousity...) here's my question: what's the best way to go about breaking up a long story that is serialized.

I ask because normally when I sit down and write one piece, I do it in such a way that everything is tied into one single thought, one single theme. With something serialized, I'm not sure that would work in my particular case.

Thoughts?

• 3a.thumb
    Walter Bjorkman
    Apr 26, 12:46pm

mmmm - only comparison that I can make, is I have a 6 legged beast that is a jouney, start to finish, but was written perhaps 2,3,1,4,6,5 out of chrono. As I was writing, the later ones (written) knew of the earlier and incorporated references.

I have presented three here (had a 4th up momentarily), but interestingly I went with 6, 5 the 2 (the one that started it), I think I wanted to start strong and I think 5 & 6 are those. I had to minimally edit. But this is a case where each segment can stand alone.

So I would apply this to the longer singular story, written in one line, and ask:

"If I break here, would what appears on the page be able to be its own creature?"

Or at least as close to itself as could be given the task at hand.

• 000_0969.thumb
    H-M Brown
    Apr 26, 11:19pm

The best thing I can think of for your situation is find a spot in the chapter that looks like you cliffhanger it into and slap a To Be Continued at the end. Of course it may also mean typing in the title of your submission. Chapter 1 (Part 1) and then wait until that post goes out of the front page so you can post Chapter 1 (Part 2).

I'll be honest that sounds insane.

Curious though, is it a long prose Short Story or is it a full blown novel with no Chapter breaks?

Kevin Myrick
    Apr 27, 06:45am

More Novella in parts.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Apr 27, 07:16am

Whatever, Kevin. Show us that puppy.

• 000_0969.thumb
    H-M Brown
    Apr 27, 11:16am

If it's a novella in parts. Then post the parts up individually.

Enter, 'Story Name - Part X' as your title, and post up what you wrote.

Kevin Myrick
    Apr 27, 11:45am

David: you guys get to see it when I'm done editing.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.