Forum / posting in html

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Apr 16, 05:33pm

In case anyone was wondering, you can't. I posted a story template with html tags. The text rendered with the tags. So I immediately deleted. It seems the best way to control your text formatting is to paste from a .doc or openoffice file.

That piddly deficiency doesn't for a minute invalidate this great site, though.

• Martha-williams.thumb
    Martha Williams
    Apr 17, 11:24am

I love the word 'piddly'.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Apr 17, 06:35pm

Eamon, I've been able to use some html tags here - such as spacing ( ) but the site still isn't user friendly when it comes to html. Italics is easy, of course.

Just to test, I went to a poem, and clicked edit. I used html to change the color of a few words – to blue. When I pressed save, the html code appeared as text. I then clicked edit, and the words were changed to blue. The problem is – the html code no longer appears – though the words are blue. I simply typed in in front of the words I had altered, and the color returned to normal black text. The fact that the html codes that you will type in disappear is a real problem if your text is complex. So beware.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Apr 17, 06:52pm

I just noticed on my thread above that the html code for spacing that I'd typed inside the parenthesis disappeared, but the space is there.

The codes function here but not at all in a user-friendly way.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Apr 18, 08:26am

Thanks Sam. Maybe that's because you'd only see the tags if you look at the page in your browser's source view. I'm going to experiment a bit tomorrow with it.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Apr 18, 08:27am

Martha. Piddly's great isn't it? Love those silly words you can make up.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Apr 20, 11:11am

Heh-heh. That's why I have so much trouble presenting my hypertexts. It would indeed be nice to be able to upload the title page. And for others, particularly poets I would think, the html might handle such a large portion of the presentation of the piece that it's impossible to post in here.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Apr 20, 11:16pm

Just uploaded a test case (entitled 'object')which is done completely in html using embedded css styles for the formatting. It get's the image by calling a link from my home page.

Still fiddling with this. Happy to publish the template code when it's right. Note the indent only on par2 onwards, which is intentional.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Apr 20, 11:38pm

For some reason 'object' doesn't appear under the 'latest stories' page. The link to it appears under my profile page. So you can get to it there.

A problem is controlling the spacing between the paragraphs. Easy to do normally, but fictionaut is ignoring the css directive to do this.

You can see the code for this simple template if you look at the story in 'view source' in your browser. The object of this excercise is only to see how we can control our formatting better than the normal cut/paste method. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted 'object'.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Apr 20, 11:43pm

Oh, oh. Seems 'Object' can't be accessed at all, except by me. This is a quirk of this site. Carson. Help.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Apr 21, 12:39am

No oh, oh at all. Just forgot to click 'publish'. Must be this southern hemisphere heat.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Apr 21, 04:46am

I've posted an explanation on how to do it on my web page.
    http://users.tpg.com.au/epbyrne/texts

Click 'Links" then "html for fictionaut'.

• 3a.thumb
    Walter Bjorkman
    Apr 21, 08:27am

eamon - thanks for the tips, went to your link, I'll try it out when I have the need - so the bugger is the line breaks.

Here is a question - have you tried just inserting a pic (or portion) using html or a template, and then proceed as normal, will that work? I prefer not to mess around experimenting, but it would be useful now and then, fnaut doesn't seem ripe for this, but that's ok.

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Apr 21, 06:27pm

Thanks for the question, Walter.

Look, anything will probably work if you fiddle with it enough. But if you look at a fictionaut piece in source view, you'll see there's some pretty complicated code in the top half which controls how much fiddle we can get away with in the bottom half. So I think you definitely need some sort of standard template which will work, and then substitute in the pertinent story text (and picture source file if you need a pic).

With my template, maybe to make it clearer you could change the paragraph text to something like:

"par text here"

I left it set with the text from my 'object' posting just to make the example explicit.

A shorter answer to your question is: no. Simply inserting html tags willy-nilly probably wouldn't work.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.