Forum / Promote Other Writers

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Apr 06, 12:59pm

The April Fool's Challenge (plus the other 2 challenges) showcased some terrific new writing, and thus promoted every writer who participated.

Last night while doing a guest gig at poet George Wallace's class at Pace Univ in NYC, I had the opportunity to promote another writer. It wasn't something I had planned.

But during the class, the subject of really edgy fiction came up. And I said that reading very edgy stuff gave me courage with my own work.

Then I thought about David Erlewine's FUCKHEAD (April Fools Challenge).

So I told them a little about his story, but that I really couldn't do it justice, and that they should goggle David Erlewine and read the story. I noticed that most of them wrote this down.

My point being: the more you do for other writers, the more will come back to you. Good will promotes more good will. It's a circle. And god knows we writers need all the good we can get~

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Apr 06, 04:16pm

Susan, this is so true. I do try to encourage all the writers here in particular but I can't always keep up. Then I feel like I'm sending the wrong message if I don't comment. But with fictionaut, twitter, Facebook, and on the separate mag and writer sites, I think that making the rounds when we can to read and share thoughts is what most of us try to do. Admittedly, the best part is hearing someone's been published and spreading the word or giving them a nice pat on the back.

Susan Tepper
    Apr 06, 04:57pm

Susan G-- you're right, it can be overwhelming, there's so much going on all the time. I think what makes Fictionaut such a special place is that there is always someone to reach out to, and vice versa, and the written word is paramount on this site. I'm grateful for all the help I've received down the line with my own work, and the continued help, support and good spirit of the 'Nauts

• Daviderlewine.thumb
    David Erlewine
    Apr 06, 07:24pm

Wow, Susan, thank you so much. I'm thrilled to hear the impact "Fuckhead" had. I loved your review of it on Kevin's site.

I have been dropping the ball lately on Fictionaut and other places. For a long time I was "good" about checking other writers' blogs and commenting on stories here and on Facebook, etc., but now I'm trying to devote more time to writing stories and reading subs for JMWW and then, if I have energy, hanging out on this great site and on FB, etc. It's tough and is a delicate balancing act. Supporting other writers is so key.

Thanks again. And "Fuckhead" will be published May 1 at "Negative Suck," run by our very own Jeff Callico. Also, thanks for your Valentine's Day Massacre prompt...my story from there just went live at Staccato Fiction. These prompts are awesome. They produce things out of nowhere. I still can't get over that. D

Susan Tepper
    Apr 06, 08:10pm

David, what fantastic news about "Fuckhead" and about your story in the Valentine Day Massacre-- 2 acceptances coming out of these challenges, that is awesome!!

To quote Blanche Du Bois in Tennessee William's Streetcar Named Desire: "I have always relied on the kindess of strangers."

Most of us here have never met and yet we "strangers" are helping each other in vast and wondrous ways

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Apr 06, 09:04pm

Thanks for this great thread, Susan. Funny, I was just messaging with another fn on this very subject. I'm new to fn and, compared to most of you, very new to writing (though as passionate), and find the talent and support fantastic. So thank you all.

Some of my dearest friends are writers met on the wild and woolly internet; several of us have met, which clinches the relationship. Peace...

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Apr 07, 02:50pm

I know what some of you feel about not being able to keep up with stories here, at individual writer blogs, and places publishing fiction. It’s a lot to do combined with actually writing, holding down a real job, and having a family and/or life (none of that’s meant to sound like complaining—we all just have many things to do). I hope that no one thinks my lack of comment is indicative of anything negative. Sometimes I read something, like it, and just can’t think of any to say beyond, wow, that’s awesome, so I don’t comment.

Supporting other writers is crucial. I’ve gotten great support online and have been floored at times by the generosity and praise I’ve received from people I only know online.

I’m going to butcher this, but writer Bruce Holland Rogers wrote something where he said that your legacy as a writer might be to help someone else flourish as a writer. It might be someone you never met. It might be someone who hasn’t even started writing yet. But your words, your approach might be the thing that inspires someone else to write. I found that to be quite a powerful idea.

Susan Tepper
    Apr 07, 03:40pm

Chris, I think Bruce Holland Rogers is right on the mark, he says it so well and thanks for sharing that sentiment~

• 3a.thumb
    Walter Bjorkman
    Apr 09, 11:07am

good comments above. Not having anything to do with publishing, or public readings,or acadamia, or blogs or twitter, I cannot promote in those manners, but I do point readers of my work at times to other writers I admire, there are quite a few I've read here that I can add to that list. The opportunity doesn't arise often, but here is one opportunity to do so, and I will:

Melissa & Michelle McEwen - they are recent to fn, have a few here. Prose poetry and flash that is so natural voiced you stop realizing you are reading. And if you get an opportunity to hear them read, you will not forget them.

Charles Levenstein - new to me, just joined fn, nothing posted here yet. What I've read is minimalist, incredibly insightful.

My home base is unabashedly MiPo, proud of it, so I have to mention Didi Menendez. While she works tirelessly to promote others through her publications, she is a wonderful poet and writer. Though she seems to be focusing on painting lately, if you can catch any of her writings, you will be well rewarded.

As to philosophy, I have recently come across an artist who could easily make a living with her paintings, but she puts every cent back by using any earnings to purchase other artist's works.

Thanks for the opportunity to express, my anout half year time here at fictionaut has been rewarding to me, it has helped shape my craft also. There are many that I read that I do not comment on, like Christian states, it doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed them.

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Apr 18, 09:34am

Sometimes, it is difficult for me to balance my time with working FT, running a press and finding time to write. I check out Fictionaut every day. I try to read some stories everyday, and comment when I can. I think this site is great and I have told so many people about it. Everyone is so supportive of one another. It is such a joy for me to be a part of Fictionaut.
    It is nice to see all this support and writers promoting others. Susan, that is wonderful what you did and congratulations to David on your story being published.
    Now, it is time for me to get some more caffeine!!!

• Color-headshot.thumb
    Dale Marlowe
    Apr 19, 06:48am

This is very important: many of us are solitary, envious creatures, and goodwill toward other members of the tribe is not natural for us. However, we live in a society that, at best, rewards our true calling and labors with a teaching gig and tenure. Often, and at the least, we labor as hobbyists; it behooves us in this hostile environment to care and nourish one another. That includes useful criticism, but it also includes promoting one anothers' works when able, and when appropriate. Kudos to this thread for generating good karma.

Susan Tepper
    Apr 19, 07:46am

Stephen, so well put. If we don't start loving each other deeply, loving the planet and the stars, the animals, then the whole thing will have been a tragic failure

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Apr 19, 03:04pm

On my desk are six books by writers whose work I value that I have gathered to review. One of the books I have read three times in preparation. Another I helped to workshop in a small writing group. At AWP, I inquired about placing reviews. I learned given that I know the authors personally and/or they requested the reviews, there may seem to be a "conflict of interest." I realize how stuck I am looking at these books. I want to dispatch the writing, quit the delay (already made longer by print publication), praise the books and increase their chances of being seen, read, and purchased. I met the writers in the first place over interest in each other's work. My motivations to me seem like good ones. Should I worry that knowing each other may diminish the weight of the reviews and affect the prestige of the titles? Another way to do it: assign titles randomly in a reviewing collective.

Susan Tepper
    Apr 19, 04:52pm

Ann, I've never heard such a thing. who dispensed this information, that part is unclear?

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Apr 19, 09:14pm

Well, I went to an American Book Review party, where the editors, seemingly all friends and all men, commented on reviewing guidelines and visited the Rain Taxi table and chatted there. Rain Taxi states in their submission guidelines that any relationship between the reviewer and the author must be stated. (The editor is married to the production manager, or did I dream that?)

Susan Tepper
    Apr 20, 10:15am

Ann, do I sniff the aroma of convoluted logic (or am I also dreaming?)

• You must log in to reply to this thread.