Forum / A Poem by Simon Perchik~ in honor of NaPoMo

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Apr 07, 06:18pm

In a review of his poems, Library Journal wrote: "Simon Perchik is the most widely published unknown poet in America."

Perhaps not a "household name" Simon has nonetheless published over 5000 poems to date. At 88 years young he's still going strong writing new poems every day and getting published worldwide.

Here is one of my favorite poems by Simon Perchik (he forgoes titles in favor of the more elusive * )

The rain is slower at airports
    but the planes are wary —even here
    you turn around in the street
    as if their wings are reaching from behind
    and strangers asking, “What’s your name now?”

In this hangar the air still warm with bread
    —some mother has forgotten her child’s name
    is calling you with her belly
    sticky with blood, shrapnel, the fuselage
    sheared in half— these planes lined up
    for some runway, for the kisses :the skies
    who love you. You think it couldn’t be.

You visit terminal after terminal, expect
    something to blossom, lift you into air
    into some song from around a dark table
    —what you hear are your cheeks
    brushed by birds whose hind legs touch down
    on the roadways— you come here

to stay, lay on your back
    so you can hug more and more sky
    —your elbows curling back, being born
    and everyone turns, gets out of the way

—you come here to leave
    and this rain before it dies
    at its loudest, calls you into the sea
    taking form under your arms the way a sheet
    covers the dead,warms them and already the air
    a shine from your new name.

—Simon Perchik, HANDS COLLECTED: The Books of Simon Perchik (Poems 1949 – 1999) Pavement Saw Press

• Nicolette_apr_2012.thumb
    Nicolette Wong
    Apr 07, 07:08pm

inspiring, in the best sense of the word!

• Updated_bio.thumb
    James Claffey
    Apr 07, 08:48pm

"a shine from your new name." wonderful stuff.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Apr 07, 09:08pm

As you know, Susan, I am a huge Simon Perchik fan, and love this one as I do so many of his courageous and fantastic gems. In fact, as an homage to Simon, I wrote a re-mash of "first lines of Simon Perchik" (including even the title) and submitted to Short, Fast & Deadly and Joseph Quintela took it almost immediately (of course, I give homage to the MAN). I can't wait for you to read that in the next issue of SFD. So thrilled that we share this reverence for S.P.

Susan Tepper
    Apr 07, 09:31pm

Robert, I do know you love Simon's work! I'm so excited that you did a mash-up and that it will be published in rigor-mort!!! Simon will LOVE SEEING IT!!!! He has a great sense of humor and will be honored you took the time to mash his poem. Please post the link as soon as you have it, so I can forward to him.

Susan Tepper
    Apr 07, 09:39pm

Nicolette & James,
    Yes, Simon is quite amazing! His poems have been published in the biggest places (Poetry, Partisan Review, The New Yorker) on down to some of the most obscure journals plus everywhere in-between. He is a most unassuming man with a great sense of humor and a deep loyalty to his friends and family.

• Meg%20profile%20pic.thumb
    Meg Tuite
    Apr 07, 11:35pm

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!! I can't wait to read more of Simon's work!!! Quite exceptional! Thank you so much, Susan Tepper, for sharing!!! I'm a fan already!!! Thank you!!

• Img_0942.thumb
    Roberto C. Garcia
    Apr 08, 12:57am

Sadly, it's the first poem by Mr Perchik that I've ever read. Definitely going to add him to my library. Thanks Susan!

• Beate_close-up-0334_copy_(1).thumb
    Beate Sigriddaughter
    Apr 08, 01:32am

Add me as a new fan, too!

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Apr 08, 01:08pm

I love this poem by Si as I love all his poems. Si is very special to me. I first published him in the Boston Literary Review/BLuR way back in the 1980's and have been hooked on his work every since.
    Every time I read a literary magazine whether printed or online, it seems like Si has a poem in it published. this makes me so happy. In the magazine, it is always the first poem I go to to read. I can't wait to see what he has written. I know I will just love it. Si has always been an inspiration to me. It is an honor to know him. He has such a heart of gold and is a humble man. 5000 poems, wow! I can't even imagine that. I know one thing for sure, all those poems, I'm sure are pretty damn brilliant!

• Ftr-metzman_photo.thumb
    Frances Metzman
    Apr 08, 03:40pm

I found this powerful poem squeezed my heart. The first sentence knocked me out. "The rain is slower at airports." Wow. I am encouraged to read more of his work. fran metzman

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Apr 09, 04:44am

Good job in bringing this to us, Susan.Simon has indeed made a mark. The poems will do their work. A real pleasure to be made aware of. Thanks.

• Blank.thumb
    Soon to be deleted
    Apr 10, 06:12pm

Simon is definitely great. He was a featured author in Negative Suck.

http://www.negativesuck.moonfruit.com/#/nov-2010-archive-4/4545252305

Susan Tepper
    Apr 10, 07:06pm

Jeffrey, so cool that you put the link of Simon's poems here from Negative Suck! I sent him this forum link and he is just delighted to see the comments that have been left here. His legacy to American poetry is enormous.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Apr 10, 10:43pm

Okay, Susan, you are not going to believe this...my hair is standing on end...Jeffrey published Simon and I in the same issue that November 2010 of Negative Suck! HOLY SHIT! And I had no idea until I went back through the archives of that November issue, and sure enough- there is my piece called "Stuffed!" Now I can say I was published in the same journal as Simon! This made my day, week, year!

Susan Tepper
    Apr 11, 12:20am

Robert that is Fantastic!!! And considering the huge amount of mags where Simon gets published, there may be others you've been in together too! And I have to add that Jeffrey Calico picks very good work!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.