Forum / Too Soon

• Img_0741.thumb
    See ya
    Feb 27, 11:43pm

William Gay died. Good lord.

• 0001_pabst_blue_ribbon_time.thumb
    Dolemite
    Feb 27, 11:50pm

I read a long interview with him a while back but haven't read anything he's written.

What would you recommend?

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Feb 28, 12:35am

His short stories are fantastic, a collection came out in the early 1990s, name is eluding me.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Feb 28, 12:37am

Matt, I just found it! It's called I Hate to see the Evening Sun Go Down.

Dolemite
    Feb 28, 12:42am

Good deal. Thanks, Robert.

Dolemite
    Feb 28, 01:03am

(just ordered!)

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Feb 28, 02:55am

Great writer, major loss.

• Img_0741.thumb
    See ya
    Feb 28, 10:42am

I Hate To See That Evening Sun Go Down was the exact right answer, the one I would have suggested as well for sure. One of the most powerful collections to come out of the South.

Dolemite
    Mar 04, 03:21pm

My book hasn't arrived yet, but I just saw this:

"Gay was born in Hohenwald, Tennessee in 1941. After high school, Gay joined the United States Navy and served during the Vietnam War. After returning to the States, he lived in both New York City and Chicago before returning to Lewis County, Tennessee, where he lived from 1978 until his death.

Even though he has written since the age of fifteen, Gay DID NOT PUBLISH ANYTHING until 1998, when two of his short stories were accepted by literary magazines. Before then, Gay made his living as a carpenter, drywall-hanger and house painter."

(my caps)

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 04, 05:09pm

William Gay was 57 years old when he first published. Up until that time, he was mostly a guy who worked construction, feeding his family, hiding out, biding time, living in the school that forges a profound depth of human understanding. You can't get that in an MFA program.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 04, 05:11pm
  • Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Mar 05, 02:39pm

Thanks for posting this, Shel.

Dolemite
    Mar 05, 11:37pm

Holy Schmokes!

From JlD's interview link:

"So I wrote a scene where he was waiting on the mailman, and I got so taken with this kid, that it turned into a book about Fleming Bloodworth."

Turns out I watched "Bloodworth" a couple of days ago, knowing nothing about it. Thought it was pretty good, seemed like it was from a short story...

Dolemite
    Mar 15, 06:01am

Sheldon--

If you come back and see this, I'm two stories into the collection and honestly think you're as good a writer as he is.

Hope you're working on stuff.

• Img_0741.thumb
    See ya
    Mar 15, 09:44am

Wow, that's a huge compliment...means a lot, Matt. Thanks, man. Yep, I'm pecking away like all the rest. Easier this morning with words of encouragement like this. Thanks again, and keep reading Gay, brother. You can't go wrong.

• Meg%20profile%20pic.thumb
    Meg Tuite
    Mar 19, 06:34pm

I'm looking forward to reading this collection. I had heard his name before, but don't think I've read any of his stories.
    Thanks for putting this out there, Sheldon!!

• 0388e1260hbw.thumb
    Mark Reep
    Mar 20, 04:51pm

Hadn't heard about Gay's death, sad news. My favorite of his short stories is 'The Iceman'.
    Here's a link:

http://www.0800phantom.co.nz/blog/06-05-2010/iceman-short-story-william-gay

• Calebjross_mug.thumb
    Caleb J. Ross
    Mar 21, 08:45pm

To mark the occasion, I resurrect an old Author Photo Comic:

http://www.calebjross.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/authorphotocomics_gay.png

May an unpublished tome find it's way to light some day.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.