Forum / Comments not alway working?

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Feb 22, 03:27pm

Anyone else having trouble with posting a comment where it disappears? I don't get the 'comment posted' note, but the page refreshes and my comment's gone. I'm sure I've lost tons of them because my initial thoughts and "eloquence" can't be rewritten easily--that's when I remember to look and make sure they're there.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Feb 22, 06:50pm

I have had that happen when I fav something, then try and post my comment. When I post first, then fav, it works fine. Go figure--

Susan Gibb
    Feb 23, 06:57am

Thanks, Susan. It's been happening when I go to post (first or after, doesn't matter) and I've learned to copy the comment if I remember to do so before I click Post, because it'll often work the second time.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Feb 23, 02:07pm

We'll have to check into that -- it's the first I hear of this. Susan, which browser/OS are you using? Is anyone else having this problem?

Susan Gibb
    Feb 23, 02:13pm

I use Mac Snow Leopard and Firefox, but this has only started happening a couple days ago (and you know how prolific I am with comments!). It's also done it here on the forum as well. Just commenting, though; nothing else. The page will refresh, but my comment won't be there.

Susan Gibb
    Feb 23, 02:13pm

And of course, that time it worked just fine first time.

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Feb 23, 03:31pm

i prewrite all my comments because they are like a puddle reflecting something of you and something of me as we look down at your work in the water together.

• Fictionaut%20possibility.thumb
    Bobbi Lurie
    Feb 23, 09:29pm

I am new here and wonder how much criticism is wanted in pieces.

Susan Gibb
    Feb 24, 09:20am

Hi Bobbi! A lot of the stories posted have been published so obviously, it's not the best time to bring something up. I've mentioned typos, and even that I likely shouldn't since there's nothing that can be done and likely only makes the writer feel bad.

Most people will mention in the author's notes if they are seeking critique or help, or place their work in one of the workshopping groups here onsite. Other than that, walk around, get a feel for it first. Most will welcome constructive criticism but the main page as a whole is for sharing stories.

• Image.bedroom.009.expose.thumb
    Ann Bogle
    Feb 24, 10:31am

Bobbi, I welcome criticism of my own writing here at Fictionaut. So far, I've posted published poems and unpublished short stories, including fiction and nonfiction. Twice or thrice, I criticized stories I thought needed to be deeper or more precise, or more thoroughly thought-into; I think of Hemingway's advice to know the whole story and to write only the tip of it--the iceberg. On those occasions, it seemed readers may have felt protective of those writers after I had commented analytically (not meanly, I hope). Ironically, if so, the fave count for those stories went up. In other words, a critical remark could help the standing of a story.

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Feb 24, 01:00pm

ms flawnt recently called me a "fav whore" when a story of mine moved up making me grunt with pleasure.

i still feel the urge to be kind above all because i think for many folks it is hard to keep at it in the self-chosen solipsistic universe they built for themselves without encouragement. heck, i'm probably one of them - not an english-speaking writer among my acquaintances for 1000 miles...the most important critique that i require and usually find on fnaut is if the story "works" for you. this doesnt mean it'll work for an editor, or for anyone else, but, hey, one reader reached is 100% up from no reader!

beyond that, i agree with another friend i met on fnaut that close reading on request with specific issues already in mind (meaning: usually not 1st draft) seems to be most useful. ms flawnt, an ex-editor, assures me all writers hate being edited on some level. i understand that only too well. i really don't want to listen myself. but when the helping angel comes with a friendly face, as a brother in arms, at least i won't close my ears.

in this way, various fnaut angels have miraculously come through to me and i have learnt things about my writing that i hadnt known. i consider this a great gift.

the lesson for me is that fnaut alone won't make you a better writer, but it won't make you a worse writer either and it'll build your stamina, with style.

ann, susan you're one of the braver ones here. i appreciate both of your styles of commenting.

and, hey, rant. shoot me.

Susan Gibb
    Feb 24, 01:42pm

Ah, Jurgen--look no further to help me here. It appears to be my own equipment as I just had the same problem over at another site's forum. Sometimes it seems to need a double-tap. It may be from the recent Mac Snow Leopard upgrade. Thanks!

• Estelle_bruno.thumb
    Estelle Bruno
    Mar 21, 06:34am

I also have had two email messages, but they never appeared on my comments page. ??

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Apr 03, 01:34pm

This has happened to me both ways more than once, and obviously others are having similar experiences. It is without a doubt frustrating. For me it's because I don't want people to think I haven't commented, especially if asked, and secondly, I like to thank people for their comments given. After all they are probably just as busy with a lot of things like me and I really do appreciate the time and the effort it takes to read and digest and react. Oh well the only thing I can see that we can do is keep on posting and commenting and giving what we can to the community at large. It's still a pretty cool place and always interesting and full of fun people.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Apr 03, 06:03pm

Hmm. I'd like to get to the bottom of this, if there's any way we can replicate it. Is it possible people posted comments, emails where sent, and then they deleted the comments?

• Yankee.thumb
    Carson Baker
    Apr 04, 05:53pm

Sorry guys -- this indeed looks like my fault. Once I figure out what's going on, I'll fix things immediately and update this thread.

Thanks for being patient.

• Estelle_bruno.thumb
    Estelle Bruno
    Apr 18, 10:55am

I have noticed typos also, but they should be overlooked since when typing in a hurry, it can happen.

• 3a.thumb
    Walter Bjorkman
    Apr 21, 11:21am

shifting gears a bit, over the last few days some of the notice of comments I receive by email have been delayed, up to 8 hrs (though usually 2-3). They tend to come with the paper clip under the attachments column, but the body is the same as any other, no attachment just the link. f'naut problem, or external? User doesn't matter. I have also not received any email notification of a 'message sent' to me over the same time frame. I recently removed the view 'contacts' from my profile page - possibly related? Would seem unlikely, but I once tested new programs, and I know funky things can happen that seem not intertwined, but are. Again, this is recent only, last message notification 4/16, first delays in comment notices 4/19.

• 3a.thumb
    Walter Bjorkman
    Apr 21, 12:00pm

as an addendum to my previous, once opened, the delayed emails lose the paper clip designating attachment in the inbox. Maybe its yahoo and not f'naut?

• You must log in to reply to this thread.