Forum / April Fool's Challenge

• 2734896685_cccc347f0a_b.thumb
    Kevin Myrick
    Feb 18, 02:55pm

Hey everyone,

Anyone interested in participating in a April Fool's Day challenge (so you have plenty of time to write?) I'd say the only rule is that your piece must include the words "just kidding" somewhere in the piece.

Oh, and they must be posted on April 1, before 11:59 p.m. local time.

-Kevin

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Feb 18, 06:43pm

This sounds fun! I better get writing!
    I love April Fools Day. I play many pratical jokes on that day!!!!!

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Feb 19, 01:47pm

Count me in, Kevin, I will write something for this challenge

• Emodave.thumb
    David Russo
    Feb 20, 04:31pm

I'm in.

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Feb 24, 02:50am

i'm in. just kidding, of course.

how we all hope this will be picked up by a publisher before the ink has dried on our hands.

how we were all fooled by kevin who printed all submissions, ripped them in small pieces and dropped them in a high wind over the atlantic ocean.

how one of the pieces with the words "just kidding" on it reached london, miraculously, flew into an open window in buckingham palace on the queen's lap and made her smile.

i think i'm there already.

Kevin Myrick
    Feb 24, 11:18am

Yes Finnegan, I live to destroy fiction. Though I doubt any would be left to float across the Atlantic and into the hands of the queen.

• Flawntnewsmall.thumb
    Finnegan Flawnt
    Feb 28, 03:00pm

kevin, it took me a while to get a direct answer from her majesty. she lets you know that she'd be delighted to personally supervise your destruction of fiction in the course of the april fool's day challenge. you may add the expression "By Appointment of HM The Queen" to your letter head now.

Kevin Myrick
    Feb 28, 04:37pm

Does that mean I get to call myself Sir Kevin Paul Myrick now? Cause that would be awesome.

I have no plans to destroy fiction. Only to get some laughs, Finnegan.

• Pic_dl_95.thumb
    Dorothee Lang
    Mar 01, 11:31am

this sounds like good fun. i'm in.

Kevin Myrick
    Mar 02, 08:40pm

Fellow fictionauts:

Not to be outdone by Finnegan and his grand master plan to enslave the world by boring us with names Joyce for the St. Patrick's Day Challenge, I created a group for the April Fool's Day Challenge.

http://www.fictionaut.com/groups/april-fools-day-challenge

Snazzy logo will be posted as soon as I think one up.

With authority of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II,

Sir Kevin Paul Myrick

• Daviderlewine.thumb
    David Erlewine
    Mar 04, 12:58pm

Great, Kevin. My cousin used to rip on me for ending certain jokes with "just keeding", like I didn't trust the audience (him) to get the joke. I write better than I talk.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Mar 05, 10:50am

Hey guys, don't forget about this challenge, too! With so many challenges on our plates, we can't forget that we are April's fools...
    whoops! I meant April Fools... ha ha
    Join Kevin's April Fool Challenge group, too, it will be great

• Estelle_bruno.thumb
    Estelle Bruno
    Mar 21, 06:30am

if I can get my fools day brain working, I will try

Kevin Myrick
    Mar 21, 03:28pm

Fellow Fictionauts,

Even though Susan gave everyone a quick reminder about the challenge, and we're ONLY less than 2 weeks away, get your stories ready.

My own story is done and I plan on posting it the day of, so I expect everyone to have something funny, something tragic, something violent and maybe even something tawdry ready for April 1.

I hope to see lots and lots of good writing!

-Kevin

Kevin Myrick
    Mar 23, 06:14am

Hey everyone,

Dorothee pointed out a problem with the group: you can't use apostrophes in tagging.

So we're going to change the rules slightly: stories should be tagged with April Fools Day Challenge instead.

And PLEASE become a member of the group and add stories there. I don't want to have 1,000 for the contest stories and not have anyone be able to find them.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• You must log in to reply to this thread.