Forum / Expired Nickel Valentine

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Nov 07, 08:59pm

Saw this on Facebook. Sharing.

Goldfish Press

ANNOUNCEMENT: Our new release “Expired Nickel Valentine” Poetry by Misti Rainwater-Lites is scheduled to go to the printers this Friday, Nov 11th (yes we still use a traditional printer) however due to the limited number of orders we’ve received thus far we may be forced to cancel the print run and issue refunds. However, there is still time to pick up your copy before we are forced to pull the plug on this insanely, beautiful and unique collection of poetry breathed to life by Misti with the help and hard work of our unpaid editors and designers…

http://shop.goldfishpress.com/Pre-Release-Expired-Nickel-Valentine-0-9824669-4-3.htm

• Nicolette_apr_2012.thumb
    Nicolette Wong
    Nov 07, 09:08pm

Hey Bill, I was logging in to do this post and you beat me. Thanks!

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Nov 07, 09:46pm

Hoax by the Goldfish Press to spur sales. Please ignore this posting. My apologies.

• Meg%20profile%20pic.thumb
    Meg Tuite
    Nov 07, 09:52pm

If you go to Misti's FB page, Goldfish Press talks about it being a hoax to get more sales. They weren't going to drop the book.

• Nicolette_apr_2012.thumb
    Nicolette Wong
    Nov 07, 09:56pm

My apologies to everyone - I was the first to repost and all that. No wonder they went from "no international shipping" to "please place your order next week" when I offered to pay the $ anyway for a pdf copy.

• Photo_on_1-21-15_at_3.05_pm.thumb
    Kathy Fish
    Nov 07, 10:07pm

This actually leaves me speechless. How old are these publishers? Twelve?

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Nov 07, 10:32pm

Tacky.

• Franklin Goodish
    Nov 08, 12:15pm

yeah i sure miss writing when i read things like this

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Nov 08, 03:20pm

Well Misti is a very good poet. Her work in the latest Thunderclap 7 is excellent. I think this is about supporting the poet rather than the book being shunned because of the unscrupulous antics of her publisher.
    It would be very sad to see the poet get hurt on account of this--
    Poets are dying on the vine. Fiction writers are dying on the vine. Small press is dying on the vine.

• Franklin Goodish
    Nov 08, 03:23pm

No doubt it would be a REAL SHAME for Misti to be hurt by such antics. That's perhaps the most galling aspect of this...the publisher presumably pulled this crap and dragged her name into it unwillingly. So frustrating.

• Me2.thumb
    Lynn Beighley
    Nov 08, 03:27pm

Has Misti made any comment about her publisher's antics?

• Me2.thumb
    Lynn Beighley
    Nov 08, 03:39pm

Never mind, found her FB page and the spirited conversation. Heartbreaking. Even if it does print, this really diminishes what should be a joyful experience for her.

Susan Tepper
    Nov 08, 04:10pm

Stuff like this goes on in every facet of publishing, and the art world, every day. It's bad but it's reality. Misti should grip her book with great pride and promote the hell out of it. She wrote it-- not the publisher. If it were me, I would not let this diminish my joyful experience and neither should Misti.

• Canada_usa_2011_002.thumb
    Christopher Allen
    Nov 08, 10:27pm

I hope we find a way to stand behind Misti. As I implied before, we shouldn't be naive to think that publishers don't use similar tactics to get readers to buy a product (which doesn't reflect on Misti's ART at all). It was unwise of Goldfish to speak openly about it, and Misti should have deleted the conversation immediately. But whatever. We all know how talented Misti is, so I hope we will support her.

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Nov 10, 04:27pm

Misti, enjoy your publication. You should be very happy of your work and promote
    it and not worry about the antics of the publishers. I can't believe they did what they did! You deserve to be very excited about your work and the publication. Congratulations!
    Gloria

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Nov 10, 04:55pm

I'm with Christopher--I stand firmly with Misti and support her talent regardless of certain souless ghouls who only see product and not the heart and soul that goes into it.

• Untitled_design_-_2024-02-08t014618.097.thumb
    Misti Rainwater-Lites
    Nov 15, 12:39am

Wow. I have been offline at home this past month, just check in on my limited pay as you go phone and my mom's laptop on occasion, so I just now found all these kind comments. Much appreciated. I don't want to bad mouth Debra...I really do appreciate her publishing my book...but I do not agree with her actions and was not aware of what she was doing until she posted the bit at Facebook. I am not a fan of carnival tricks, especially when they are employed in the small press. I have been a passionate contributor and supporter of the small press since 2005 when I received my first publishing credit in Zygote in my Coffee. I put out books and buy books by my peers. This sort of thing makes me sad. So I would like to apologize on behalf of Goldfish Press. Thanks for supporting me here!

Susan Tepper
    Nov 15, 05:24pm

You are welcome, Misti. Good Luck with your new book!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.