Forum / How do people successfully post on Fictionaut from a mac?

• Fictionaut%20possibility.thumb
    Bobbi Lurie
    Jul 23, 06:30pm

How do people transfer their .docs onto Fictionaut without text getting corrupted? And/ or: how do people manage to have control of fonts, size of font and type of font when posting a story or poem on Fictionaut? How to change spacing? (I can't manage to do this) Thanks

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jul 24, 03:45am

Bobbi, if no one answers you private message Carson Baker.

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Jul 24, 06:43am

Bobbi, I use a Mac. When pasting a document from Microsoft Word .doc into the story space, all font choices and size of font stays intact as far as I can see.

The only glitch I'm aware of is that Fn adds a spare line wherever you have a carriage return. So if you copy of a story that's single-spaced, the result is single-spaced, but there's a spare line between each paragraph; if you copy a story that's double-spaced, there's an extra spare line between each paragraph.

Other than that, nothing's corrupted. Do you have an example of something that was?

• Picture_1.thumb
    Barry Friesen
    Jul 24, 06:51am

Oops. Sorry. Have to correct myself. The various fonts and font colours, etc. are intact in the page you paste into, but when you "publish" the story, all fonts are converted to what looks like Times New Roman 10 or 12. So Fn uses a default font and a default extra line after a carriage return, but I think that's just Fn, not the Mac. But (obviously) I'm a dummy about this stuff. I mean, that's why I HAVE a Mac. :)

• Me2.thumb
    Lynn Beighley
    Jul 24, 03:45pm

I copy my text from Word and paste it into TextEdit, choose Format--> Make Plain Text, then copy to Fn from there. I accept that I lose formatting.

Bobbi Lurie
    Jul 24, 04:31pm

Thank you, MaryAnne, Lynn and Barry. I followed your advice, Lynn, and pasted my last piece which was corrupted on Fictionaut (Against Romanticism) onto Text Edit and then onto Fictionaut--I didn't make it into plain text because it removed the italics.

I still don't know how others get particular fonts or how they manage to turn pieces into single spacing--but I'm happy to find text edit.

Thank you for your help!

Bobbi Lurie
    Jul 27, 04:58pm

Barry,

I have never had your experience. On my mac, if I have a single space piece and I paste it only F'naut, it always comes out double space.

I also can't control the size of the font.

One of my last pieces, Against Romanticism, was perfectly framed on the page but when I transferred it to F'naut some letters came out huge and some the right size. I kept trying to correct it by pasting it to new folders, pasting it to text file...I think I settled it but I still don't like the font--like you say: it changes to Time Roman...I also don't like the header with the large title and large name but I guess there's no choice in that.

Thanks.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.