Forum / tomorrow I shall "die"

• Franklin Goodish
    Jul 02, 10:51pm

Perhaps inspired by "The Tudors" (a great great great show I am only just finding via Netflix)...I beg for your forgiveness. Tomorrow, for insulting a poem on here, I am to die. Bloody Tepper is considering my punishments. She has given me internet access from the otherwise unsparing tower to beg for your forgiveness.

I beg you to spare me hanging in chains as buzzards eat me. I beg you to not make the executioner drunk the night before so he is unable to kill me with a clean blow of the blade.

I beg you to absolve me of all guilt.

I don't deserve your pity, but I beg for it.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Jul 02, 11:09pm

Oh grow up.

• Franklin Goodish
    Jul 02, 11:15pm

Never, Lord Cromwell!

• Innis_author_photo.thumb
    Julie Innis
    Jul 02, 11:26pm

Haven't seen The Tudors, but have heard it's great. Need to get on Netflix if only for the next season of Breaking Bad. Nothing on TV has come close to BB's brilliance, imho.

(didn't mean to hijack thread with this remark, but I do always appreciate a good show or movie rec.)

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Jul 02, 11:46pm

Jules: I don't know how to access Netflix. Can you enlighten me? My son says Breaking Bad is also tits.

• Innis_author_photo.thumb
    Julie Innis
    Jul 02, 11:55pm

Hey JP: I haven't tried it yet, but here's their FAQ (http://www.netflix.com/HowItWorks)
    and the BB info: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Breaking-Bad/70143836?strkid=517296916_0_0&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strackid=d6a94525c0a085c_0_srl&trkid=222336

I think Season 4 is about to start on AMC (I don't have cable, alas).

• Franklin Goodish
    Jul 03, 02:24am

I may sound heretical saying this but in some ways the Tudors is more tits than BB, Julie. That said, BB starts in 2 weeks and I'm DYING to see it. Poor Gail! BB and the Wire are still my faves but yes for sure The Tudors is MUCH better than expected.

• Mrsoftee1.thumb
    Jim V
    Jul 03, 02:33am

This is also a hit thread, and just as wrong as the last one. Maybe even worse. I'm disgusted.

Remind me again why I came to this effing site.

• Franklin Goodish
    Jul 03, 02:35am

oh good lord, jimmy, it's a bit of a joke. happy fourth to you, good sir.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Jul 03, 03:01am

"Justified!"

* The show that is, not to be construed as a contribution to any existing rant, polemic, death chant or critical 'cage fight.'

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Jul 03, 04:47am

"Justified" is a great show. Inspired by a short story written by Elmore Leonard, one of my favorites. Story about a U.S. Marshall with a predilection for killing people.

Loved the series, David. The main character? Raylan Givens is one of those purely American types, infused with values that conflict with his behavior and circumstances, but forged in that sense of justice that comes from fierce loyalties.

You have to love a character who will go to extremes to defend friends and family. Maybe that accounts for the show's popularity. Because, no matter how civilized or sophisticated we become, most Americans dwell in that place where we go postal when someone picks on our friends, our family.

Lot of Americans are like that. Generally happy to just live and let live, but ... Pick on my family? Insult my friends? My response won't be pretty, but visceral, quick. It's the American way.

• Img_0654-2.thumb
    MaryAnne Kolton
    Jul 03, 05:24am

Not that anyone asked but my favorite show is Breaking Bad. I don't think it's something you can start watching this far in tho, perhaps record this season, get the old season's CD's from Netflix or watch on computer site for AMC or HULU. Tough to watch sometimes but well worth it. But then Pulp Fiction is one of my altime favorite movies. . . .

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jul 03, 07:32am

I'm a big fan of 'The Closer'. Early 'Bones' was also great fun - though it took a wee while to get over the differences between the series and the books. 'Monk' will always be dear to our household. '55 Storeys High' is very funny and very British - I think it'll only be known to folk from the UK, and not many of them, come to think of it.

Generally it's all 'Peppa Pig' and children's TV in this houisehold these days - though I'm happy to report young Angus is a fan of 'Futurama' and 'Mythbusters' too. I shall survive!

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jul 03, 07:32am

I'm a big fan of 'The Closer'. Early 'Bones' was also great fun - though it took a wee while to get over the differences between the series and the books. 'Monk' will always be dear to our household. '55 Storeys High' is very funny and very British - I think it'll only be known to folk from the UK, and not many of them, come to think of it.

Generally it's all 'Peppa Pig' and children's TV in this houisehold these days - though I'm happy to report young Angus is a fan of 'Futurama' and 'Mythbusters' too. I shall survive!

• Img_0568.thumb
    Gill Hoffs
    Jul 03, 07:33am

Urgh, our PC makes posts happen twice. Apologies.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Jul 03, 11:01am

i don't watch much television. i don't have time. i read and write. though the last series i watched that was worth the watching was 'the wire'. bloody brilliance and in my backyard.

i do admit to watching 'intervention' and other similar shows from time to time as 'research' for my day and night jobs.

franklin, despite all the hair-raising, it is good to know you're out there. peace...

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Jul 03, 12:19pm

Well it isn't good for me to know that "Franklin" aka David Erlewine is out there because he sent me 3 THREATENING EMAILS. Yes. I've had ENOUGH.

Originally, when he first posted, I wrote Erlewine a polite email asking him to apologize to my mom. She always loved his work, and commented accordingly.

His response was to write me back 3 vicious and threatening emails. Well Jurgen runs this site and I'm forwarding Erlewine's mail to Jurgen. Erlewine has threatened me with the FEDS. Well, for the record, My Husband was a US Attorney and he knows EVERYONE. Now I'm done with this garbage. DONE.

• This thread was locked on 2011-07-03 12:56:35 UTC.

Nothing good can come of this. --Jurgen