PDF

Now Fox News is saying


by stephen hastings-king


Now Fox News is saying:

We in no way trivialized the virus. From the beginning, we conceded it was a noun. We said: That word is the name of something that exists in consensus reality. A very special something. Something unique.

Yes, we did.

There was no denying.

It came from the East in whispers that grew into a raspy, tantalizing word. Like everyone else, we fell in love with it. Say it like Humbert Humbert with me right now:

Corona, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Co-ro-na: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Co. Ro. Na. She was Nana, plain Nana, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Conny in slacks. She was Corey at school. She was Covid-19 on the dotted line. But in my arms, she was always Corona.

Wasn't it like that? You'd be lying if you it was said it wasn't.

Our divergences were a matter of adjectives. Adjectives reflect your predilections, what you like, what you go for, your tastes, who you are when you strip away all the veneers that money can buy.

You say it's purple: we say it's mauve. That you say purple is a perfect index of your vulgarity. It's your vulgarity that we can't abide. But you know as much. That's why you make such a scene and say such ludicrous things.

We were in love with the same disease. We competed for its attention. We both wanted to be the one who speaks for it because, when you speak for it, it holds you close and whispers in your ear what to say.

You can't stand that you lost out, that we are closer to the virus, that the opportunity to become a disease has passed you by and that you might, after all this, find yourself stranded in yourself, in who and where you are, left to merely dream about infecting others, thinking: That's where the real revenue lay because you don't love disease, you love a business model. You love dollars. And that tells everyone but you everything they need to know.

So go ahead and tell the others that we lied to get where we are. It won't change a thing

Endcap