Discussion → Science Fiction

• Newme.thumb
    Veronica Purcell
    Jun 07, 07:52am

It seems science fiction is facing tougher times when it comes to traditional publication. There are a lot of preternatural, supernatural mixed stories out in the market and a handful of epic and contemporary fantasy adventures. It seems traditional science fiction the likes of Dune and Ender's Game are seemingly at handfuls and for cult buyers.

More than likely it's just me.

Am I the only one who feels non-fiction blabs, chic-flick romances and various general fiction tend to take up more shelf spaces than science fiction?

• Franz_liszt_1839.thumb
    J. Mykell Collinz
    Jun 07, 02:00pm

Part of the problem is the lack of readers in general and the resultant decline in publication outlets. Movies, TV, and the Internet have taken many people away from books. I don't read books enough myself anymore, although I have a stack of them sitting here waiting to be read and reread. I'm spending an increasing amount of time reading and writing at the computer. Printing stories and then reading them later away from the computer sounds good. I haven't been doing that but I might give it a try on longer stories requiring a more detailed reading. It's just a matter of finding time. I'm interested.

• Franz_liszt_1839.thumb
    J. Mykell Collinz
    Jun 07, 02:17pm

If you sent Seriphyn Knight Chronicles: Scene 1-01 to the group, as stated in Group Activity, why isn't it listed in Newest Stories? How does that work?

• 000_0969.thumb
    H-M Brown
    Jun 07, 02:56pm

Hard Sci-Fi is a very tricky thing to write because, if I understand this correctly, it has a lot to with technobabble from the part of writers.

"The dilithium crystals are gonna blow captain!"

We know what a crystal is. We know their gonna blow. We know the captain is a person. But what is a dilithium?

When a sci-fi is written and you're presenting technology, people expect some of the little things that we see everyday. There is a willingness to suspend disbelief in Sci-Fi if it leads to an awesome space battle, who cares if there's sound and air in space. But if you start having characters say Dilithitum, or Plasma gebu-gappers, the readers will say, "What?", and thuse create the disconnect.

With fantasy and the supernatural, everyone knows about ghosts, every knows about fairies, knights and magic, so it's easy to enagage fantasy without worrying about technical explanation of technology. And technobabble.

At least that's what I am seeing right now. Hopefully there is a little more that I have missed and would love to pick up on.

• Franz_liszt_1839.thumb
    J. Mykell Collinz
    Jun 08, 09:09am

Happy to see the Sci Fi & Fantasy group has doubled since I last checked in. I'm not surprised to see you here, H-M Brown. I've read some of your writing before and have wanted to read more. And you, Myra King, one of my favorite Fictionaut writers, period, regardless of genre. I'm not surprised to find you have a science fiction story to submit but I am surprised I haven't already read it. Finding time, or using time more effectively, is a deciding factor in my ability to participate and I assume it's the same for everyone else. So, I'd better get down to work.

• 000_0969.thumb
    H-M Brown
    Jun 08, 02:22pm

It's almost an automatic given for me to sign up for any Speculative Fiction groups.

• Newme.thumb
    Veronica Purcell
    Jun 08, 06:52pm

RE: My story to this group...
    I was only testing to see how the upload featured work for groups.

• Newme.thumb
    Veronica Purcell
    Jun 08, 07:01pm

"I don't read books enough myself anymore, although I have a stack of them sitting here waiting to be read and reread. "

Above quote is pretty much the same for me. My problem, generally, is having the time to read. Short stories here and there are pretty much all I can manage. Watching films can be done whilst doing something else right. Reading books takes up my whole attention. Time I have to invest in books is rare compared to responsibilites and other fun and stimulating stuff like the internet :0)

Thanks for joining by the way.

• Newme.thumb
    Veronica Purcell
    Jun 08, 07:16pm

"Hard Sci-Fi is a very tricky thing to write because, if I understand this correctly, it has a lot to with technobabble from the part of writers."

Hi H-M Brown, thanks for joining. You make a very good point and an one to highlight.

I think the past pitfuls for science fiction is the fact that sci-fi, generally, are based on "outwordly" places and unique techologies. Some sci-fi novels I've read have been something of a physics manual, and total drivel. And they got published! How did that happen?

I believe a good science fiction story should have a healthy level of the techno drivel (to keep the geeks dreaming but not overboard so it's like my science teacher is droning on about crap), the plot and bare bones itself based on what is IN this world and what we know. It should have characters that are creatures or people we could easily identify with, contain certain generic expectations that would assimulate me and anyone else into the alien world.

What is familiar mixed with what is new usually keeps me in the story. Generally, if a non scifi reader gets hooked on a scifi or fantasy story that's a story worth reading IMO.

That's my theory.

• You must be logged in to reply.