Discussion → HOW NOT ESOTERIC ARE YOU?

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Mar 04, 06:00pm

I am not! I like it real and I hate berets!

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Mar 04, 06:16pm

this group is for the anti-kaffe goers, people who don't mind seeing water marks on industrial silverware. We are not hanging out with dada. He died of heartburn.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 04, 07:33pm

"Tits and puppies." How Amurican is that?

Saw the sign. Had to stop in. Can't handle Jane Austen. Never could. Openly or under the table. Bill Clinton might.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 04, 10:21pm

Lord, I feel really bad about this. What I said was "Can't handle Jane Austen. Never could. Openly or under the table. Bill Clinton might."

Tastless, tacky, that ... and totally inconsistent with both my political and grammatical sense of correctness.

What I meant to say was, "Can't handle Jane Austen. Never could. Openly or under the table. (Insert the name of any recently scandalized conservative Republican defender of family values) might could."

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Mar 05, 02:15am

got it Jim. There is not need to be CORRECT HERE! haha! this is a diner!

• Mechalk42.thumb
    Kyle Hemmings
    Mar 05, 03:07am

I don't mind water marks on my silverware, but I have to confess. I had lunch this afternoon with Dada and now we're both hungry with penis envy over Spongecake Bob's new tell all autobiography.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 05, 05:04am

Thank you, Meg. I was worried all day, thinking of hiring Charlie Sheen's publicist ... he's looking for work.

Yah. A diner. Only a diner. Yah. I've been to a diner. Been in trouble there, too.

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Mar 05, 08:11am

David, david... Dada is dead. Shhhh! Needless to say, Spongecake Bob is alive and absorbent! Penis envy is not necessary when one is a piece of cake. Well... I have no deep answers. If frosting falls in the forest, does one hear it? Hark!

• Fictionaut.thumb
    Meg Pokrass
    Mar 05, 08:15am

Jim, thankfully we are all trouble makers here! Welcome, troubled ones! I am nothing but trouble myself. Proof is this group. I mean, just by starting this group as a rebellious statement against esoterica I am asking for a literary janitorial gig.

• Old-man-on-the-beach.thumb
    Jason McCormick
    Mar 05, 10:01pm

As I explain something, street directions for example, I usually get the idea that I CAN explain it flawlessly, as the Omni-explainer. But rarely do I actually do that. Usually I end up esoteric at the fourth step, here:

The Four Nobel Truths of Buddhism:

1. Birth, old age, sickness and death are unsatisfactory (duhkha).

2. The cause of un-satisfactoriness is craving (trsnā).

3. There is an end to un-satisfactoriness and craving and it is known as nirvāna.

4. The way to achieve nirvāna is to follow the middle path between all extremes. This path has eight sub-steps: (a) appropriate view, which has two sub-steps: (1) perception and (2) reality, (b) appropriate intention, (c) appropriate speech, (d) appropriate action, (e) appropriate livelihood, (f) appropriate effort, (g) appropriate mindfulness, and finally, (h) appropriate meditative-concentration.

Totally fucked.

Jason McCormick
    Mar 05, 10:09pm

The good news is I'm drinking black coffee and writing like a madman again. Maybe during this round of the plague I'll boil up something worth rereading. Hey, any you guys read Macbeth? Just had a random thought of those three witches stirring the cauldron.

Jason McCormick
    Mar 05, 11:26pm

Carver says: “I read something in a letter by Chekhov that impressed me. . . . It went something like this: Friend, you don‘t have to write about extraordinary people who accomplish extraordinary and memorable deeds.”

• Mechalk42.thumb
    Kyle Hemmings
    Mar 06, 10:37pm

I like reading about ordinary people who accomplish extraordinary deeds. As for the Truths of Buddhism, I agree. We're all screwed. Nice post, Jason. Worthy of HTML Giant.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Mar 08, 03:15pm

I like it both ways. I like diners and I like upscale dinning. I like greasy food and I like exotic food. I write characters who go both ways (in different stories). I like Jane Austen and I like Bailey White. Yay to me!!! Ha ha!

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 08, 11:56pm

"Upscale dinning." Does that involve pearl handled noisemakers or jewel encrusted megaphones ... diamond-studded kazoos?

(Could not help myself, Susan. At least I didn't run with "I like it both ways." Exercised extreme restraint there, I did, I did.)

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Mar 09, 04:03pm

HA Jim Davis! I figured someone would hit on that..
    Upscale dining? Why that means cloth napkins and silverware. Sometimes a cocktail in a nice glass. Food like lobster tails (not from The Gulf) and warm chocolate cake for desert.
    But I can also get down and dirty with the tacos, buffalo wings and bottle of beer.
    The JOY OF GOING BOTH WAYS..........
    As that commercial used to say: "Try it, you'll like it."
    What were we suppossed to try and like??

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Mar 10, 04:10pm

If you know what it means to be anti-kaffe and not hanging out with dada, and if your first thought when hearing the name "Chekhov" isn't Star Trek, and you have no trepidation saying the words "penis envy," you are not not esoteric. If you're busy making a list of the reasons why people are not not esoteric, then you are not esoteric.

I'm sorry to have to break this to you. It was difficult for me the first 33 hours but a calm of acceptance will eventually wash over you.

Kierkegaard is calling. Don't be afraid.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Mar 10, 05:02pm

Kierkegaard is dead. Chekhov's a foreigner either way. We do not toss handfuls of potato salad at lectures on Dada, we order it as a side at KFC.

Willy Nelson lives, y'all!

Embrace the chicken fries. Wake up and smell the Chock Full of Nuts. Amurica awaits the voices of its poets in denim, its authors in old leather boots. We will not, even for the sake of a date with a beautiful woman, suggest for a moment that Pride and Prejudice stirred our souls (unless, of course, she owns a pickup truck and a lot of stock in BP).

We are the huddled and non-esoteric masses, yearning to breathe free. Beer for the horses, whiskey for the bar all around!

• Nuclearman2_1_.thumb
    Christian Bell
    Mar 10, 05:31pm

>>whiskey for the bar all around!

I can get behind this, though I was astounded at the price of a bottle of Jack Daniels when I went to buy a bottle of whiskey. It was so expensive I had to ask if it was a mistake. What's more non-esoteric than Jack Daniels, I ask you? Jim Beam, I suppose, which is what I ended up buying (it was in a Kid Rock promo box--how embarrasingly non-esoteric is that?).

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Mar 11, 03:36pm

I could use a whiskey, mebbe two, and in fact I'll drink the house 'brand'. Tonight, tonight, I will crack out the boxed Almaden, mountain rhine wine, sweet, does the trick, and goes great with wings, deep fried with atomic buffalo sauce on the side.

• You must be logged in to reply.