Forum / Suggestion for groups

• N640411813_2642.thumb
    Jessa Marsh
    Nov 29, 04:05pm

I've noticed a lot of stories posted to the MB group are not actually published in MB. While I understand posting stories in groups dedicated to feedback, it seems that a lit journal's page should just have stories they published. I wonder if it would be possible to have an option to wait to publish stories until an admin for the group approves it.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Nov 29, 04:22pm

It's up to each group/magazine, really -- some are wide open, some invite other stories by authors they have published, some only want stories that have appeared in their pages.

There's no approval mechanism, but admins can remove stories they'd rather not have in their group pool via the handy "oust" button.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Nov 29, 06:12pm

I've noticed this and really wonder what the purpose is in posting a story to a group page unless there's a purpose; i.e., feedback, a contest or challenge, an invitation, etc. Aside from keeping a story "alive" longer, or wishing to ensure that a specific group doesn't miss the story since it's on the front page for only a day or two, I don't really understand the concept of sending stories to groups, particularly to lit journal groups.

• Mc5atruetestimonial.thumb
    Craig Snyder
    Dec 03, 11:21am

Yes this is kind of a nit-picking issue. It's all about freedom and I don't care what stories are posted where.

• N640411813_2642.thumb
    Jessa Marsh
    Dec 05, 10:25pm

I don't think it's nitpicking. It think it's spam to post your stories in groups that they don't fit. It's rude and I'm sick of having to go to the group and delete things all the time.

Susan Gibb
    Dec 06, 09:59am

Maybe it would be a good idea to specifically state that random stories are unwelcome--or to mail the administrator first with a request. Otherwise, innocent newcomers aren't aware of the preferences of what each group is seeking in stories to post.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Dec 06, 11:06am

Jessa, I was about to say what Susan's suggesting -- if you'd rather not have people add their stories wantonly to the Monkeybicycle group (and I do understand how that could turn into a problem), perhaps use the group description to let them know what you're looking for. Only stories that have appeared in MB? Only stories by writers who have been published in MB?

• Pic_dl_95.thumb
    Dorothee Lang
    Dec 06, 12:16pm

i've noticed this, too, and figured that it is induced by the faster pacing of fictionaut, with stories dropping from the front page rather quickly at some times.

adding a note to the group description can be a solution for the single groups, i guess (i added such a note now in the BluePrintReview group)

but at the same time, i wonder if there is a way to give new stories a bit more space - maybe something like a "spotlight page" for newcomers, and / or for "emerging" stories (for example, stories with 2-3 favs)?

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Dec 06, 01:13pm

I realize that the backbone of Fictionaut is fiction - short story, flash & microfiction - but many poems appear here as well. Monkeybicycle, for example, as a literary venue - and here I'm not referring to its presence at Fictionaut - publishes poetry in its print version as well as prose.

It's semantics I know - but most of what I write is poetry, not story. Poets are people too -- he said with tongue firmly resting in his cheek. Seriously though, if I hadn't been invited to join Fictionaut, I problably wouldn't have, because on the surface it didn't and doesn't appear to be the place for poetry. I realize now that's not case, but I wouldn't have known that by a simple visit. I would have assumed fiction only.

That being said -

If a group here states that it only wants material that has appeared in its real pages or only wants material posted from writers who have appeared in its pages - I may join the group here at F for reading purposes, but I would never post to that group.

I have joined magazine groups here that have no such guideline, and my work has never apperared in their pages, and have posted to that group page here at F, and will continue to do so.

Susan Gibb
    Dec 06, 01:48pm

I've done it myself--and ashamed to say, with the thought of catching an editor's eye. But I know better now and don't "group" a story unless there's a good reason; whether I've been invited to do so, or the group is open to critique or sharing, or to make a point, or to share in a fun-test or challenge.

Writers are used to following guidelines; just name your guidelines if you have them and we'll behave accordingly.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.