Forum / I know, no such thing as a stupid question, but...

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Feb 18, 02:28am

if you are compiling stories and/or poems into a chapbook to submit to a potential publisher and/or a contest, do you just send the stories/poems, or do you also include a forward/intro?

just wondering. peace...

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Feb 18, 02:38am

Interesting question. My first thought is that if it isn't requested or suggested in the submission guidelines, probably not. But then I think if there is something important to you that you want to say in an introduction, then do it. I'm no help!

• Dscn4564.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Feb 18, 03:13am

I might check the guidelines to see whether they ask for a cover letter and whether they want it separate or attached. That might be a good place to include the intro. If the guidelines don't seem to be very specific and you think the intro is needed, I'd include it.
    In other words...uhh...ummm....

• Photo_on_1-21-15_at_3.05_pm.thumb
    Kathy Fish
    Feb 18, 07:05pm

Linda, do you mean a cover letter or something actually to be included in the manuscript? Most chapbooks do not include an intro by the author, so if that's what you mean, I would say no.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Feb 18, 10:59pm

Linda, I always include a cover letter that contains my bio and a short pitch on what the project is (novel, poems,stories,whatever). And on the cover letter is my contact information, whenever I'm sending to a publisher or agent. I think they more or less expect it, and it looks professional.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Feb 18, 11:32pm

All, thank you for your responses -- very useful. I certainly will include a cover letter. But what I was asking (but not very well) is that the few chapbooks I have read lately all have a little introduction describing the genesis of the stories/poems, and how they are linked. An intro or forward of sorts.

But I think I will simply include the stories, note which have been published before (and when and where), and include the 'genesis' pitch in the cover letter. Thanks! Peace...

• Photo_on_1-21-15_at_3.05_pm.thumb
    Kathy Fish
    Feb 18, 11:50pm

That sounds like a good approach, LInda. Best of luck!

• You must log in to reply to this thread.