Forum / employment

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Nov 11, 06:37am

I'll be heading back to the US next week and looking for a job. I've been looking for the past few weeks. Lots of jobs for those that have an MA or MFA, but none for those currently working on an MA or MFA. None that I can find.

I'll be up in CT working on my MFA, but the program is low residency, so I can live anywhere.

Most of you, I think, know who I am, but you can check out my bio here to see that I have a broad range of experience but only a BA in History.

I don't have a teaching license, but I do know that some school, especially private schools, let you teach without one, provided you have an MA/MFA. Maybe, too, if one is working toward that.

Working in the publishing field would also be ideal.

Thanks for your help.

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Nov 11, 09:00pm

CT's not real user-friendly the past couple of years. Most manufacturing has left the state or gone under and teaching is cutting back although I think they've just gotten an infusion with Federal funding. Best of luck!

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Nov 12, 12:36am

Thanks, Susan. However, I do see a pile of teaching jobs in other states, but they require an advanced degree. So, the future looks good, but the present is a bit challenging.

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Nov 12, 04:05pm

"I do know that some schools, especially private schools, let you teach without one"
    Yes. Taught in private schools for years. You don't need a MA or MFA. Apply. It's a good gig. Your real-world experience will be very attractive.

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Nov 12, 08:04pm

Bill, that's good news for Matthew who we all are wishing the best for when he gets back in the states. He did this great Peace Corps gig and now deserves some luck to fall his way. I, too, will keep my ears peeled.

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Nov 12, 11:16pm

Thanks Bill and Susan. You've given me hope.

• Gloriamindock200x274.thumb
    Gloria Mindock
    Nov 19, 04:32pm

Hey Matthew, I'll let you know if I hear of anything.
    Welcome back to the States!!!!

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Nov 20, 12:14am

Thanks Gloria. Much appreciated. By the way, I'm still working on the poetry book I mentioned to you awhile back. I hope to submit it for the next reading period.

• Night_chorus_book_cover.thumb
    Joani Reese
    Nov 20, 02:46am

If you can't get hooked up at a private school (many are now requiring certification), you might be able to teach in a public high school if you also sign up for a fast-track certification program. They usually take your program fees (around $3000) out of your paychecks as you teach while getting certified. Once you have 18 credit hours in a graduate program you can also become an adjunct at a community college, though it's a bit tricky to manage to eat and live on such a small salary. Good luck.

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Nov 20, 12:41pm

Thanks for this JP.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.