Forum / Faves from the World for Linda Simoni-Wastila

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Oct 25, 06:30pm

Sometimes we wonder who belongs to those other eyes that are included as views for our Fictionaut works...

I teach a Creative Writing Class for a Community College in northern New Hampshire. Last week I assigned them to bring in a poem or story they found online and liked.

Jodi, an L.N.A. and the expectant mother of her fourth child, went looking on Fictionaut unprompted and brought in Linda's fine story,
    "Comfort of a Friend" to read aloud to the class and talk about. She'd read several other pieces and decided she liked this one a lot. She gave Linda's a good reading, and talked about it; she liked particularly the ending and the line about the toenail painting. Once they heard it, the rest of the class had good things to say about the story as well.

So that's some of whom are out there. If I could add their six faves to Linda's story I would, but consider them wrapped up in mine--with a big ribbon around it.

Nice work, Linda. Your readers are out there and loving it.

david

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Oct 25, 06:42pm

Sorry, that should have been "Comfort of Friends" of course. But, by any other name....

• Photo_on_1-21-15_at_3.05_pm.thumb
    Kathy Fish
    Oct 25, 06:46pm

Those students of yours have good taste.

• Frankenstein-painting_brenda-kato.thumb
    Sam Rasnake
    Oct 25, 07:22pm

It's a great story.

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Oct 25, 08:57pm

What a lovely thing to let us all know, David. Congrats to Linda!

• S._tepper--nov--lighter.thumb
    Susan Tepper
    Oct 25, 10:07pm

Linda is one dynamite writer! Loved hearing this story about her story!

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Oct 26, 12:29am

Wow.

Just checking in after a crazy, nutso three days and this just erased all the crud.

Thank you David. It means everything to me someone out there reads my words. That the someone is one of your students makes it even sweeter (and that she's a health professional -- perfetto). But most of all, I'm overwhelmed and moved by the fact you took the time and care to let me know.

Peace...

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Oct 26, 12:47am

Credit belongs to you and Jodi, I'm just the messenger here, Linda, but thanks.

I want to emphasize that she found the story very much on her own: I'd listed Fictionaut as one of a number of on-line sites where they could find good work, but that was it for my contribution.

She was the one that found the story and showed all of us how good it was.

• 408a4808.thumb
    Kait Mauro
    Oct 26, 11:32pm

That's very cool. :) :)

• Jen14.thumb
    Jen Knox
    Oct 29, 12:29am

What a great idea, and a lovely turn of events.
    Linda, Kudos! And I agree with Kathy, Jodi has incredible taste.

This is the sort of story that makes me feel so much better about the shift the literary world is making. Actually, networks like Fictionaut are making me feel better about the shift, too. I personally have a lot of issues with reading longer work online, but for short work, this just goes to prove the possibilities and exposure of good, contemporary work. I'm teaching an online writing course this term, and I plan to do something similar in the future.

Thanks for sharing this story, David.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.