Forum / Formating removed from posts

• Franz_liszt_1839.thumb
    J. Mykell Collinz
    Oct 18, 03:23pm

Does anyone have any idea of how to change the "Remove formating" setting in the Fictionaut edit window?

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Oct 18, 03:59pm

I couldn't do line breaks for a while last night

then th'bility magically returned, so...

Matt Dennison
    Oct 18, 04:07pm

of course, that was after I took a ball peen hammer and a nail-set to the "Remove Formatting" icon, so...

• Franz_liszt_1839.thumb
    J. Mykell Collinz
    Oct 18, 04:25pm

Hi, Matt. 'Remove formatting' is a 'javascript' according to the 'Properties' data. I tried another browser software to see if that was the problem, thinking maybe my java isn't up to date. I'm still trying to determine that.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Oct 18, 05:04pm

Sorry again for the trouble. The "remove formatting" button is not an icon -- it's a button that lets you remove the formatting, just like "bold" lets you bold text. In other words, don't touch it if you don't want your formatting removed.

What happens to your line breaks if you leave the formatting button alone? I'm trying to help but can't replicate the problem -- everything seems to be working fine here.

Matt Dennison
    Oct 18, 05:51pm

Line breaks working fine, now, but last night it repeatedly posted sans LBs (and I was not aware of the existence of the Remove Format option at that point).

• Franz_liszt_1839.thumb
    J. Mykell Collinz
    Oct 18, 06:03pm

The 'Remove formatting' button should toggle on and off. Mine seems to be stuck in the on position, indicated by a big red X in the box. When it's off the red X should go away, I'm assuming.

• Franz_liszt_1839.thumb
    J. Mykell Collinz
    Oct 18, 10:51pm

Finally, it posted without removing the formatting. I'm not sure what the difference was this time. I did all the same steps before and it didn't work.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Oct 19, 03:27am

Carson worked his magic. Please let us know if it happens again.

Matt Dennison
    Oct 19, 04:28am

Jurgen--

On the chance you might pop back in again on this thread, would you/Carson know how to preserve formatting as in keeping a font different than Fnaut default font?

I'm copy/pasting from .doc and rtf files but always lose original font.

• Franz_liszt_1839.thumb
    J. Mykell Collinz
    Oct 19, 07:44pm

Thanks Jürgen for all you do, it's appreciated. And thanks Carson for working your magic.

Matt Dennison
    Oct 19, 08:08pm

I had to jump over 14 barrels and run through 52 rolling hoops to get my last little thing posted.

Kept removing all formatting and posting as weirdly shaped prose.

One thing I noticed was using Shift+Return in Word to single space in Fnaut, which normally turns all normal Returns into double spaces, resulted in Previewing as double-spaced but posting as single-spaced.

But on seeing Preview in double space, removing returns and using Shift+Return again, would result in the complete loss of formatting.

Also, adding returns at end of piece to move that (annoying) little diamond-shaped thing off the page also resulted in loss of format.

Matt Dennison
    Oct 19, 09:32pm

(Not that I'm complaining, just thought you'd appreciate more detailed feedback)

• Img_20220916_174315_923.thumb
    Jeffrey S. Callico
    Oct 22, 02:54am

It's still messed up. I had to completely delete a post -- and the nice comment -- just to get it edited the way i wanted. The line break issue shouldn't be an issue at all. Very frustrating for a writing site. This is a simple thing.

Matt Dennison
    Oct 22, 03:18am

Jeffrey--

It never used to be this way (ah, the good ol' days...).

One trick I've learned in the past two days is to type in title, hit "Tab" button to position cursor where body of text will go, paste in text and then leave it the hell alone (which is a shame, since I like to tweaktweaktweak once I've pasted).

Also, deleting work entirely and starting over instead of trying to edit (which repeatedly posts stanzas as a bizarrely-shaped prose thing) seems to have a higher rate of success.

I imagine they'll figure it out pretty soon.

Matt Dennison
    Oct 22, 03:43pm

Formatting appears to be back on track.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Oct 22, 05:52pm

I'm still getting notes from people with problems. We're looking into it. Formatting may seem simple but in fact it's surprisingly tricky to make sure that any text pasted from any program (and any OS), often containing all sorts of hidden code, will show up properly.

Details about where you copied your text from would also be helpful. Thanks for your patience while we work on this.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Oct 22, 06:46pm

OK, Carson took another go at it. Please let us know if you run into any more problems. It's not going to retroactively fix any formatting, so you might have to edit & repaste stories that got mangled. Apologies, again.

Félix Saparelli
    Nov 01, 08:07am

This is a bit late, but: I can't center my text. I noticed the problem a few weeks ago when I published "Mid-Loss".
    I had a quick look at the code, and it appears there's a problem in how the markup is handled: [div] and [br] tags are correctly placed, but there's no class attribute anywhere, which means the code is not styled at all; although the CSS does show that '.center' should be centered. There must be some defect in how the edited content is handled.
    In fact, looking at the markup pre-publishing, I saw that aligning is handled using 'align' attributes, not 'class'. I assume these attributes are then stripped off by the server.
    This is not mentioning the lack of a proper DOCTYPE, which probably prevents some browsers applying default styles, and that you should really use XHTML, not HTML 4.
    PS: I also looked at the POST request and I can assure this is not the editor mangling stuff, it's the server stripping HTML tags.
    PPS: My apologies for this rather lengthy, technical post, but I'm also a developer at heart; this is interesting for me...

• Me2.thumb
    Lynn Beighley
    Nov 09, 09:08pm

I'm having difficulty with superscripting. I have a footnote and, when previewed, the <sup></sup> isn't present. And yet when I re-edit, and in edit mode, superscripting is present. It's getting stripped out?

• Me2.thumb
    Lynn Beighley
    Nov 09, 09:26pm

Let me add that it appears the superscript tags are being stripped out, as they were in the message I just posted above. < sup >
    As opposed to < wassup > :)

• You must log in to reply to this thread.