Forum / Server Error When Entering Fictionaut

• 000_0969.thumb
    H-M Brown
    Oct 15, 12:56am

Question:

Has anybody been getting this error when entering Fictionaut or navigating the website:

[Sorry, our server choked on your last request.
    This is most likely our fault, not yours. Please try again in few minutes. If the problem persists, leave a note below and we'll review the issue.]

It's getting a little annoying that this error keeps popping up wherever I go on Fictionaut.

Is this even supposed to happen?

• Pub%20bio%20pic.thumb
    Cherise Wolas
    Oct 15, 12:58am

It happened to me a bit ago, then I got a page that said they were doing server maintenance...

• 0804d24.thumb
    Matthew A. Hamilton
    Oct 15, 01:00am

Just happened to me. Also, when I edited my latest story, the formatting went haywire.

Not sure what the problem is.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Oct 15, 01:07am

Hey guys -- no, it's not supposed to happen. Carson just flipped the switch on a new version of the site, and there are still a few problems to be ironed out. As far as I understand it, there was a security vulnerability in Rails 2, and people were in fact trying to exploit it and hijack Fictionaut user accounts. Carson had been working on a Rails 3 version of the site, so he went ahead and deployed it.

He's trying to iron out any problems as we speak. If you're noticing anything strange, please post here or send us an email, and we'll try and take care of it asap. Sorry for the trouble.

Also, as you might have noticed, the new version of the site features ads for the first time. The announcement's here:
    http://blog.fictionaut.com/2010/10/14/fictionaut-joins-litsense/

Thanks all for your patience as we work this out...

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Oct 15, 01:13am

I've been getting the same errors. Also, when trying to enter via google or bing search. In after two hours.

Thanks for trying to keep us secure. Funny, on the way to work yesterday I was thinking about fn and how huge it is and wondering if it could/would crash. Peace...

• 000_0969.thumb
    H-M Brown
    Oct 15, 01:13am

Cool. Fictionaut is growing, growing, growing. Keep up the good work.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Oct 15, 01:34am

Just kicked me out whilst commenting. I wonder -- is it the ads? Peace...

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Oct 15, 01:49am

Did you get the "our server choked" error after posting, or did something else happen?

It's not the ads -- it's that we had to deploy the update with the ads a little early because of the security issue.

Vaguely funny: I got the "server choked" trying to post this.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Oct 15, 02:39am

Yep, got the server choked error.

I'm a health professional, I almost gave my laptop the heimlich.

Vaguely funny indeed. Karma? ;^)

Seriously, though, I'm glad you're proactive on the security stuff, so thank you and Carson. I once belonged to a nice little writing place that got hacked and took the whole site down. A cyber tragedy. Peace...

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Oct 16, 01:26am

I am still getting 'server choked' while posting comments. Is it just me? The entire day I had a lot of difficulty getting in and staying in (though I did get more work done than anticipated). Peace...

• You must log in to reply to this thread.