Forum / duotrope stats

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Oct 03, 09:00am

So what do the accept/reject stats really say about a journal's 'exclusivity'? Before fn and before I started working with a journal, I thought that the smaller the accept percentage, the tougher it was to get pubbed in that particular venue. But those numbers don't reflect solicitations, do they? Or contest winners? (Yes, I realize they're based on self-reports).

I wonder because some of my favorite places to read have very high acceptance percentages. Others with low acceptance numbers seem to (often) have the same cast of characters.

How much do you consider the stats when trying to place a piece? Comments, thoughts?

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Oct 03, 09:34am

Comment:

Somewhat.

Thoughts:

Hmmm... sausage and pancake on a stick. I KNEW I should have bought some of those last night, I mean I was THERE, they were right in front of me, next to the box of corn dogs which, if it hadn't been so big and didn't cost almost ten dollars, I might have bought, but it just seemed so bizarre, like some 3 a.m. stoner thought-dream. Sausage AND pancake. On a stick. Like some fatty-sweet popsicle. Or perhaps it was the very genius of the concept that halted my cognates on the path to redemption...

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Oct 03, 02:46pm

Matt will have his little spot of fun.

But seriously, Linda, I never even thought to look at the acceptance rate until after the fact of having a piece taken. My acceptances represent an admittedly miniscule sample.

But I was interested in what your "favorite places to read" are. Those are the ones I might like to submit to.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Oct 03, 08:56pm

Matt, I'll look for those sausage and pancakes on a stick -- I'm not sure I believe you. That such a thing exists. If so, then we live in a sad, sad world...

David, I'm quite sure my acceptances are not skewing the stats (well, perhaps to the left, or downward). Truth be told, I'm a recent user of duotrope. Being a data-driven kind of girl (I do 'health services research' by day), I am always both drawn to and suspicious of statistics. Especially in conjunction with words.

I read all over the place, including quite a few recent finds from here: metazen, istanbul lit review, the linnet's wings, blue print review for starters.

Of course, I would be remiss to not mention jmww -- I read EVERY word there, and then some ;^) -- elimae, blink-ink, nanoism, wigleaf, mipoesis, tattoo highway, boston literary review (great poetry, drabbles, and dribbles), eclectic flash, EDP, EDF, smokelong. I like word riot though they don't like me. Lots of others.

I write about health, from individual and societal perspectives, so I devour Bellevue Literary Review and The Sun the day they arrive in my mailbos. Better than dessert.

And here, of course. Most of the stuff that really resonates I stumble upon here.

There's so much out there to read, not enough hours or days. peace...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Oct 03, 10:10pm

Ghetto style pigs in a blanket, IHOP shish kabobs. Matt, I've tried them, but would rather have menudo for breakfast than try them again ... and I cannot abide menudo.

Linda, I don't believe the data in Duotrope is something on which to base a decision for subs, but what is? Ultimately, it's a bit like bottom fishing in deep water, submitting your work.

And it's not strange that you see the usual suspects consistently in some journals, only a fact of life. One day, Joyce Carol Oates will stop writing and print space for 347 new, currently unknown writers will suddenly, magically appear.

Data is great in the disciplines of science and engineering, where data collection is done with some degree of reverence and respect, but in the arts ...?

I use Duotrope, but I also use a ouija board. The results, for me, are about the same. But ... there's a reason for that.

• Dsc_0321.thumb
    D'Arcy Fallon
    Oct 04, 02:36pm

God, I'm a total slut for pigs in a blanket.

• Img_0741.thumb
    See ya
    Oct 04, 03:25pm

If I see a journal has like a 0.000002 percent acceptance rate coupled with a 453 days average response time, I sometimes submit just to punish myself.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Oct 04, 07:55pm

Hmmm, James... so maybe my initial approach of selecting venues by flipping through Writers Market blindfolded is more efficient?

Sheldon, I think you've elucidated my attraction for stats. Coupled with my type-a personality, it's that perfect opportunity to practice unbridled masochism. :)

D'Arcy, I DO enjoy those little hotdogs wrapped in biscuit dough, dipped in spicy mustard. Perfect with a chianti. Peace...

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Oct 04, 08:55pm

Sheldon, I thought that particular formula was my own personal mojo. Now I'll have to try something new.

Linda, a blindfold is the ONLY proper way to use a Writer's Market. It also helps if they are ten years old.

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Oct 04, 09:19pm

I think at one point I had the entire International Directory of Little Magazines and Small Presses memorized...

I lovededed that book. Never cared for the Writer's Market.

• Michaeljsolender-headshot1.thumb
    Michael J. Solender
    Oct 16, 04:39am

Another thing to keep in mind is this data is generated exclusively through "self reporting." My guess is that a higher number of acceptances vs. rejects do NOT report skewing the data. Perhaps a better and more accurate, though less precise indicator is found in "recent responses" this subset only includes actually reported upon dispositions and includes number of days in addition to accept/reject. I must admit I personally don't have much patience for 150 plus days response time and being ego starved and driven tend to submit to those pubs with much quicker turn-arounds. As to food-on-a-stick, nothing in my opinion tops deep fried Twinkies. Long live the Minnesota State Fair..

• You must log in to reply to this thread.