Forum / typos

• Self_portrait.thumb
    eamon byrne
    Sep 13, 05:47pm

This morning I read 3 just-posted pieces. They were all pretty good. They also had, between them, 5 typos (2,1,2). This is not untypical.

A comment by someone on one of these pieces pointed out one of the typos. The author's return comment to the comment started with - a typo!

Is this complaint trivial? Maybe. But here's a statement of principle. If no care is taken in the writing, no bother should be taken with the reading.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Sep 13, 08:39pm

Yeah, but sometimes with the comments it's just the eyes are failing and the keyboard's sticky and you proof everything, so you think, and then press send and you see the boo-boo but it's toooooo late. Peace...

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Sep 14, 10:59am

Typos happen, but here's the point. They pull the reader out of the piece. No serious writer really wants that.

"you see the boo-boo but it's toooooo late"
    Linda, it's never too late. Thankfully, there's an edit function in Fictionaut.

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Sep 14, 11:11am

Oh I agree on typos in posted pieces -- no excuse! I was focusing on comments -- I don't think you can edit those. If you can, please tell me how! Peace...

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Sep 14, 11:12am

I'd rather someone point them out to me if I've missed them (I'm pretty good, but sometimes you just keep reading over them). On the comments, it's not possible to repost or edit. The only time it bothers me is on a story and there are more than just a couple oopsies.

• Dscf0571.thumb
    David Ackley
    Sep 14, 01:40pm

The ones in the title are the ones that really ring my bell. You gotta wonder.

• 2161777446_a91102ea45.thumb
    Matt Dennison
    Sep 14, 01:59pm

"Thankfully, there's an edit function in Fictionaut."

Not for the comments.

(Bill gets two demerits)

;-)

• You must log in to reply to this thread.