Forum / How many stories...

• 0.thumb
    christopher malo
    Sep 12, 05:00pm

Do you work on at once?
    Do you guys write one by one, start to finish? Or juggle a few at the same time, in various stages?

I find myself doing maybe three at a time, all at various points. I will feel inspired with one and go with it until I hit a lull, then pick up another that may suddenly have some new insight or direction.

On one hand I think this works for me, but on the other hand I wonder if I am sabotaging myself from fully flushing out and completing pieces.

Thoughts/experience?

• Linda.thumb
    Linda Simoni-Wastila
    Sep 12, 07:32pm

Interesting question.

I am always working on a novel. Always. Every day, bang-bang-bang, a few new words or revising a section. When editing novely, I get really antsy to write new, so I work on a flash a week (52/250 of late). I have a few longer stories I work on every few weeks, then throw back into a file to marinate. but mostly, between the novel and a short, that's about all I can handle.

Sometimes I feel I'm sabotaging my novel by working on new things, so empathize with your concern. Then, I take off a few days of work and completely immerse myself again. Peace...

• Photo_on_2012-05-10_at_10.25.thumb
    Susan Gibb
    Sep 13, 06:38am

I used to write one by one, get totally immersed in it. For the past year, however, I've found as many as a dozen sitting on my desktop waiting for finishing, polishing, or sometimes a whole story since all I've written is what I once thought was a brilliant first line.

Particularly this past summer, I've worked on up to three at a time; had the dailies due for a 100 Days Project, a daily for 24/7 thru August, and a weekly for 52/250. Needless to say, I'm spending my days mostly editing now.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.