Forum / Noir Defined

• Michaeljsolender-headshot1.thumb
    Michael J. Solender
    Aug 15, 09:57am

This is such a great take on NOIR. Love to see genre work legitimized.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/otto-penzler/noir-fiction-is-about-los_b_676200.html

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Aug 15, 05:07pm

Thanks, Michael! It's a perfectly written take on the genre. Suitably noir-ish in style, as well. Long been a fan of noir and have written some myself. Maybe I can put my name on it now.

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Aug 16, 07:36am

Love, teach, and blog on film noir.

Close Encounters of the Noir Kind:

http://byarrow.blogspot.com/

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Aug 16, 11:31am

Great stuff, Bill! Saw the blurb, "Last Year at Marien-Noir" and fell out of my chair laughing. Now I can't get up, but I can still reach the keyboard ... wait ... a plot!

-- Shot twice in the chest, Eddie gasped. He felt that long, dark night moving in on him like an unemployed cousin from Tupelo. Though he'd fallen to the floor, he could still reach the keyboard and with his life bleeding out in a scarlet flood, my last real friend sent me that final, cryptic email. The biggest caper I've ever enjoined came my way across the world wide web like a Tomahawk missile bound for Baghdad.

"You've got mail." Three little words that rocked my world. --

Someone stop me!

• Trees.thumb
    Carol Reid
    Aug 16, 02:33pm

Some argue that the only real noir is film, but it just isn't so!

I'm just reading my first Megan Abbott, Bury Me Deep, and if it ain't noir I don't know what it. BTW Jane Hammons is great at the genre, too.

Michael J. Solender
    Aug 16, 06:38pm

Here is my latest NOIR story for you aficionados, a great venue also if you want to try your hand..

http://blackpetalsks.tripod.com/yellowmama/id524.html

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Aug 16, 10:25pm

Oh, I just saw this topic and, of course, had to stop in! I'm reading a collection of noir short stories called Istanbul Noir right now. Thanks for the plug, Carol. Here's a link to a noir story of mine that is on line. Bury Me Deep is definitely noir! I'm off to read some of these other links!

http://a-twist-of-noir.blogspot.com/2010/08/twist-of-noir-533-jane-hammons.html

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Aug 17, 08:36am
  • With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Aug 17, 08:37am

James, glad you you got the pun! (You're one of a very few who did, I suspect.) Love your email noir idea. Go forth! Go forth!

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Aug 17, 08:47am

Jane,

I enjoyed "The Corners." Love the ending.

"In life there are all kinds of penalties. Death is just one of them."--that's excellent!

• With_ted_3.thumb
    Bill Yarrow
    Aug 17, 08:54am

Michael,

Just read "Pewter Badge." Cool story. Tongue in a pink donut box, eh? You set me up perfectly for that ending!

Michael J. Solender
    Aug 17, 12:50pm

Bill, Thanks for reading - great imagery at your site..

I too loved Jane's story and that line in particular.. that site by the way, ATON has got some really strong pieces...

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Aug 17, 01:57pm

Thanks Bill & Michael for reading The Corners. I only recently found out about A Twist of Noir from this group that I belong to.

http://shortmystery.blogspot.com/

Lots of news about markets for mystery/noir.

Hey--maybe we need a mystery/noir/pulp fiction group here??!

• Fb_fanpage2.thumb
    George LaCas
    Aug 18, 02:29am

Great link, Michael. I think I should write some noir now.

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Aug 18, 06:45am

Jane, we do need such a group. I'd start it, but my novel said, "Disengage! Step away from the internet! Now!" I must obey my novel.

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Aug 18, 12:14pm

I know, James. Mine said the same thing (echoed by the syllabus for 3 classes). But I'm disobedient, so I might go ahead and do it . . .

Michael J. Solender
    Aug 18, 01:44pm

Count me in Jane I have no novel and my navel says "be a joiner"

• Author_photo.thumb
    James Lloyd Davis
    Aug 18, 02:14pm

Novels, navels ... Jane ... if you do it, I'll join. How lazy is that?

I have a satirical noirish detective novel that I wrote before I lost my sense of humor. Be glad to post a few pieces of it as it's never been shown in public to date. It's set in Houston and the hero's name is Rocky Stone. It involves an apparent serial killer who targets lawyers, unaudited defense contracts, the CIA, a missing scientist, and a huge tomato plant with the ability to control human minds.

The villain is Dick Cheney.

• Sunburn_selfie.thumb
    Jane Hammons
    Aug 18, 10:14pm

Okey dokey. The Noir group is up. Anybody know how to upload an image?

• You must log in to reply to this thread.