Forum / Notifications

• Rg.thumb
    Roxane Gay
    Sep 22, 10:34am

Hi Jurgen. Would it be possible to have optional notifications for when new threads or responses to threads have been posted in Groups? I think that would be a really nice time saver and promote more fruitful conversations within groups.

• Profile.thumb
    Dave Clapper
    Sep 22, 11:30am

Agreed. It seems like discussions peter out pretty quickly, as folks don't know that they've continued.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Sep 22, 11:50am

Right -- we're thinking about ways to foreground activity in groups better. Group discussions show up in the feed on the front page, but if you have a lot of contacts, that can go by pretty fast. Email notifications are one possibility, but we're also looking into some other ways to show when new stuff is happening in groups. I think they need their own activity feeds on the groups page, and perhaps a box on the front page that shows the most active groups you belong to.

• 4586_550127587839_9801266_32663791_2858639_n.thumb
    Ben White
    Sep 22, 02:13pm

Agree. Couple of thoughts

1. It would be nice to see "stories by your contacts" or something. Since Fn is about to get bigger, it'd be nice to know more easily when people you've made contact with have posted new stuff.

2. In order to cut down on email volume but still notify people of the interesting things that they're involved with, perhaps at some point there could be a digest email sent with info about new/update discussions in your groups or new stories by your contacts.

3. Or, better yet, some kind of "my activity" (or "my fictionaut") tab that compiles this data. We have stories, people, groups, forums, you--but one thing we don't have is something that combines the most relevant bits of each. Like subscribing to ongoing discussions, being notified when one of our groups has a new discussion, one of our contacts posted a new story, etc.

• Photo_on_2009-11-28_at_02.29.thumb
    Robert Swartwood
    Sep 22, 06:24pm

Are there already notifications for when someone adds you as a contact, and if someone favs one of your stories? If so, I can't seem to find them ...

Ben White
    Sep 22, 09:26pm

Oh oh, that too.

I mean as annoying as the facebook news feed was when it came out, the idea of an "notification central" functionality is pretty appealing.

• Yankee.thumb
    Carson Baker
    Sep 23, 12:32pm

Awesome feedback. Some of this stuff is a little tricky to program, but it's in the works. The immediate focus is improving the activity feed along the lines of what Ben suggested.

Ben White
    Sep 23, 08:26pm

Very cool. I know this stuff is all nice in a forum but a huge pain in the code, so thanks for doing what you do.

• Photo_on_2009-11-28_at_02.29.thumb
    Robert Swartwood
    Sep 25, 07:05pm

Just a note: someone wrote on my wall, and my e-mail notification is set up for me to receive an e-mail when that happens, but no e-mail came through ... Thanks!

Ben White
    Sep 25, 07:44pm

Ha ha. "Someone" he says.

• Author_wide.thumb
    Jürgen Fauth
    Sep 25, 08:31pm

Thanks -- we're currently experiencing a hiccup with our email service. Should be fixed shortly.

• Auth%20pic%20grease.thumb
    Mel Bosworth
    Sep 26, 01:06am

Speaking of email, is it possible to have "sent messages" available to view? Has this topic been broached already? Apologies if it has.

Also, is it possible to have a list of who's following us on our page?

I'll shut up now. I'm sure I'm not saying anything new.

GO TEAM FICTIONAUT!

• Yankee.thumb
    Carson Baker
    Sep 26, 02:46am

The email service is back in action. Sorry about that guys.

• Yankee.thumb
    Carson Baker
    Sep 26, 02:54am

Hallo Mel,

Honestly "sent messages" is not the top priority at the moment, but thanks for bringing it up. I'm doing my best to add features that make the community stronger, and I'm trying to triage all the possibilities. So when you guys vote for stuff I definitely take notes, and I'll bump this one up the ladder. Same for the list of followers.

I often wonder if reimplementing email on the web is something we should be doing at all. Maybe people would be better served with a simple form that lets users send a note to another user and then subsequent conversation is continued through their email client, not proxied through Fictionaut.

• Rg.thumb
    Roxane Gay
    Sep 26, 06:51pm

Carson, I think a simple message form would be a great. The reality is that everyone has e-mail and to have to come and check yet another message service, for me, just makes things unwieldy. Perhaps there could be a way to include e-mail addresses on profiles so they can get in touch.

Thanks for all the work you do. It is very appreciated.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.