Forum / Gulp...sharing my Kirkus Review with you guys.

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Nov 08, 04:22pm

Here's the Kirkus review of da book. I have "uneven" feelings about it and wish I was better at just taking the good parts to heart and not getting fussed about words like "laziness." I love the way it starts, though. Makes me feel like a grown-up poet.
    https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/nonnie-augustine/see-whos-there/

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Nov 08, 05:43pm

A good review in a notable venue is a good thing.

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Nov 08, 05:58pm

So, you think it's a good review, Gary? Huh?

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Nov 08, 10:52pm

The idea of being reviewed terrifies me, but I believe you got thru this one relatively unscathed. For blurbs use just the most complimentary comments--to hell with the rest. Reviews for the most part are subjective, and done by hacks. (I have nightmares in which Michiko Kakutani tears me to shreds, even tho anything by her would sell books.)

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Nov 08, 11:15pm

How's this: "Vividly evokes many individual characters and shows a consistently vigorous imagination." -- Kirkus Reviews

Would fit nicely with several others both on Amazon and the back cover!

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Nov 08, 11:57pm

Yes, I think it is a good review. It misses the profoundly loving nature of your book and gets a bit petty in its bit of snark but i would be pleased.

• Panama_hat.thumb
    Nonnie Augustine
    Nov 09, 12:31am

Darlin' men, you two. xxoononnie

• Photo_on_2-20-16_at_8.24_pm__3.thumb
    Amanda Harris
    Nov 09, 12:36am

Congrats!

• Img_5429.thumb
    Dianne McKnight-Warren
    Nov 15, 12:07am

"The elegant grandeur of some moments contrasts sharply but fruitfully with the quotidian details of others; Augustine plays on these contrasts with steady skill that enhances both types of memories: “I go home to the fifth floor walk-up on Christopher Street,” one verse declares, “where I live with Jim who plays a ghost on Dark Shadows.” The narrative voices and perspectives often change abruptly, and the verse forms have an almost equal diversity." Kirkus

That's wonderful! And the quote Mathew chose. Great praise!

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Nov 15, 07:58pm

Good quote, Dianne. Perfect for blurbing.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.