Forum / Did History Smear the Wrong English King for Killing the Princes in the Tower?? D

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Oct 28, 04:25pm

It is doubtful professional cold case investigators, no matter what evidence they might find, could ever solve irrefutably a probable murder more than half a millennium ago. Absolutely nothing—not even an indisputably authenticated confession by his successor on the throne--would be enough to absolve Richard III, King of England, from the accepted popular assumption he arranged the murder of his two nephews in the Tower of London.

This was foretold sadly by Scotland Yard's Alan Grant in 1951 after his exhaustive probe into historical records pointed the accusing finger instead at Henry VII. Grant is a fictional character, but this matters not in the least. The evidence he and his fictional assistants dug up were found in nonfictional records by his creator, Scottish playwright/novelist Elizabeth MacIntosh, while researching a play set in that period. Under the nom de plume Josephine Tey she devoted the fifth in her series of Inspector Grant mysteries to perhaps England's oldest and most controversial real murder mysteries, known down the ages as The Princes in the Tower.

[more: http://tinyurl.com/p2hh7x5]

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Oct 28, 05:26pm

The Pub is empty and I'm sleeping in a corner booth. I don't want to go home. If I go home my wife is going to beat me over the head with a broom.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Oct 28, 07:43pm

As right well she should, ya bleedin' bloke.

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Oct 29, 02:28pm

The Daughter of Time is indeed a good read, so good that reading it entails the risk of being so satisfied with it as to inhibit any desire to read anything else by Josephine: it took me years to get around to The Singing Sands and A Shilling for Candles.

The excavation of Richard III has further dimmed my regard for the Tudor Toad. I sincerely hope Kit Marlowe did NOT become Shakespeare.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Oct 29, 02:37pm

Am currently reading Singing Sands. Shilling for Candles is next. All 3 are in the book I found in our library. I've never been much for so-called "cozies," but Tey is an exceptional writer.

• Photo_00020.thumb
    strannikov
    Oct 29, 06:29pm

Cloth, Macmillan Co., 1952? Four Five and Six by Tey?
    I had two copies once, gave one away. Oddly, the identical title was in two distinct typesettings, two distinct paginations: I think one was a special book club edition.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Oct 29, 07:26pm

Yup. It was a gift to the library. Used copies are still available through Amazon. Reasonably priced.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.