Forum / Regarding A House Made of Stars by Tawnysha Greene

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Sep 13, 04:45pm

Regarding A House Made of Stars by Tawnysha Greene

Expertly modulated suspense, precise and skillful prose, engaging and disturbing characterization, vivid and economical description, and an expertly crafted narrative arc make A House Made of Stars a harrowing but extraordinarily satisfying novel.

Its narrator/protagonist names no names as if to make anyone specific and individual with a name would bring them to the attention of the monster, Daddy, and his co-dependent, Momma. But, to paraphrase Lowell, you must pity the monsters even as you fear them. The shadings of character are subtle and humanely complete in Ms. Greene’s finely imagined and crafted debut. The representations of mental illness are the most insightful I have read since Sophie’s Choice.

The modulation of intensity and relief is musical, reminiscent of the artistry of a late Mozart symphony. Like Mozart, too, is the utter transparency of the prose which, like Mozart’s orchestration, allows events, settings, and characterizations their full melodic power.

I was honored and lucky to receive and read an “uncorrected proof” of A House Made of Stars because its author and I are both members of the literary website Fictionaut.com where I first read, loved, and remarked chapters from the novel in progress. The web can in fact provide unparalleled opportunity to be enchanted by writers not yet famous but clearly on the way to robust and well-deserved literary recognition.

Recognize star-bright additions to the firmament of finely crafted fiction- A House Made of Stars and its gifted author, Tawnysha Greene. Your investment will be richly rewarded.

Gary Hardaway

• Photo%2015.thumb
    Gary Hardaway
    Sep 13, 04:46pm

My Amazon review posted there today.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Sep 13, 06:36pm

This could be used in an award nomination. I love the Mozart analogy.

• Kreuzberg,%20germany%201992.thumb
    Robert Vaughan
    Sep 14, 02:35pm

Also reviewed this terrific book at Amazon recently. So thrilled that Tawnysha sent me the same "uncorrected proof" copy, and that I was familiar, like Gary was, with some of her previously published chapters of the novel here, at Fictionaut. Congratulations, Tawnysha!

• Darryl_falling_water.thumb
    Darryl Price
    Sep 27, 01:03pm

A truly beautiful work of art.

• You must log in to reply to this thread.