Forum / R.D. Laing Wrote This In 1960

• Angelcity1.thumb
    Chris Okum
    Jun 23, 09:42pm

"Without an open two-way circuit between phantasy and reality anything becomes possible in phantasy. Destructiveness in phantasy goes on without the wish to make compensatory reparation, for the guilt that prompts towards preserving and making amends loses its urgency. Destructiveness in phantasy can thus rage on, unchecked, until the world and the self are reduced, in phantasy, to dust and ashes."

• Samuel Derrick Rosen
    Jun 23, 11:21pm

Interesting

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Jun 24, 10:03pm

Which is what we seem to be experiencing in reality.

• Post-26229-12790230958.thumb
    Iain James Robb
    Jul 13, 09:22am

This appears to neatly encapsulate the history of damage done to social fairness and democracy via the solipsism of SJWs.

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Jul 13, 12:06pm

It seems to me nihilistic fantasies have been fairly prophetic. I cling to the hope their prophecies are myopic, and prefer an outlook that allows for encouraging surprises.

• Post-26229-12790230958.thumb
    Iain James Robb
    Jul 13, 09:34pm

Agreed. All attempts to enforce a single wordview upon reality without acknowledging others' divergent realities are always bound towards catastrophe even if the original ideal is in the right.

• Better.thumb

I'm reading (among other things) through Matt Taibbi's "The Great Derangement," and — as though my esteem for him wasn't high enough on the cultural-richter scale — this one's shooting it through the roof, and making it seem as necessary (to me) for knowing how to Live Here in America as Rick Perlstein's acclaimed trio and Andreas Killen's "1973 Nervous Breakdown: Watergate, Warhol, and the and Birth of Post-Sixties America."

To wit:

"Being a wiseass in a groupthink enviroment is like throwing an egg at bulldozer."
    "Dennis looked like a distantly menacing version of Homer Simpson after electroshock therapy."
    "I paused, wincing inwardly. An outsider coming into this world will feel sure that the moment he coughs up one of those 'God told me to put more English on my tee shot' lines, his dark game will be instantly visible to all and he'll be made the target of one of those Invasion of the Body Snatchers-style point-and-screech mob scenes. But nothing could be further from the truth. You simply cannot go wrong praising God in this world; overdoing it is literally impossible. I would understand this better by the end of the weekend."

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Derangement-Terrifying-Politics-Religion/dp/038552062X/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438640263&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=great+deragement

• Mugshotme_(3).thumb
    Mathew Paust
    Aug 04, 07:33pm

D'Oh

• You must log in to reply to this thread.